• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Underweight Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fizzypiggy

I went to a garden centre today and committed the cardinal sin.

I felt sorry for 2 young sows who were tiny, skinny and the staff were clueless. I ended up buying them as much as I know I shouldnt but I just couldn't see how the would have survived.

The were eating rabbit food mix and hay but have not had any fruit or veg since they arrived at 6 weeks old according to the staff, they told me they were too young for veggies!. So I guess their lack of vitamin C may have contributed to their skinniness.

They are supposed to be 9 weeks old but are very small. I have weighed them, one is 290 grams and the other 305 grams. Not sure what 9 week old babies should weigh? does anyone know?

They have an appetite and I have started weaning them onto supa guinea excel and have offered a small amount of broccolli and green cabbage to start them off. I have also given them some probiotics in their water.

Is their anything else I can do to build them up. I will weigh them daily and if their is any deterioration they will be straight to the vet. Advice much appreciated.

Mine were between 300g - 450g.. as long as they are eating and in really good condition, besides them being skinny for the time being.. I would expect them to be putting on weight and starting to look well in the next few days/a week. Are you sure they are 9 weeks?I would feed them throughout the day for now if they were unnourished.

Kelly and piggies xx

Just give plenty of veggies and always make sure dry food is available for them.

Check out under the board "Food" and read the members reviews on each food to help pick out the best one!

Don't think it was a bad thing getting them. I did the same thing last month. I saw this awful place where 17 guinea pigs were in 1 small cage and there was 2 guinea pigs in another and they were the only girls so I had them. One of the piggies I got is heavily pregnant now and I am so glad I have got her cos if someone else had chose her, the babies could have ended in a rescue or she might not have been looked after properly.

I think its as great think what you have done for these piggies so well done!

Thanks for the advice, I am giving them plenty of high vit C veggies which they are eating and also a good GP food and hay both of which they are showing an interest in.

Hopefully I will notice some weight gain in the next few days.

Thats horrible how the staff of pet shops treat some animals the staff at mine told me Rudi was a himi and Zubin a aby their clueless some of them there should be a NVQ or something they have to do! hope your new piggies get better x

Hello all, Just thought I would update you with news on my skinny babies.

After lots of TLC and plenty of good food I am pleased to say that the bigger pig has put on 5 grams taking her weight up to 309g and the smallest pig has now overtaken her by putting on 20g in 2 days taking her weight up to 310g !

Amazing, it just shows you how good food can make such a difference. Both piggies are now more active and lively than before and doing great. :)

Will post a pic soon.

piggies005.jpg

piggies002.jpg

Before showing sunken and hunched sides

piggies013.jpg

36 hours later after and lots of grub and now a bit heavier and well hydrated.

Well done you! You just rescued two little piggies and they look like they are improving very quickly with your amazing care! ;D Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back