• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Uneven teeth

Cherry Berry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, while doing weekly health check I just noticed that Berry has uneven teeth. I suspect the reason could be because he chews the cage grids. There are two reasons he does that
1. Instead of weeking for food, every time he wants food he starts chewing his cage.
2. Cherry and Berry were not getting along so I had to split their CC cage and he chews the dividing grids. Although it is reduced but still it is.
I will contact his vet regarding his teeth but any suggestion to stop him from chewing cage please?

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-25 at 14.32.47.jpeg

Your best is to get him to the vet. Though those experienced in teeth are few and far between.

as regards bar biting, think about enrichment and maybe blocking off the space between them for now. Also try not to ‘encourage’ the bar biting behaviour.
Bar biting behaviour
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Is he eating well and maintaining weight? Sadly, there’s nothing you can do about the bar chewing @furryfriends (TEAS) is our dental expert who should reply when she sees this
Yeah, he is maintaining weight. I just noticed it today so I think it at very beginning stage. But he is eating slow these days not significantly slow but very slightly.

Your best is to get him to the vet. Though those experienced in teeth are few and far between.

as regards bar biting, think about enrichment and maybe blocking off the space between them for now. Also try not to ‘encourage’ the bar biting behaviour.
Bar biting behaviour
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Thanks, I will a look. I have contacted his vet but somehow during breakfast time, he immediately starts biting cage. I am trying to stop him a lot but not sure what to do so that he forgets that. I will block the area in the divider.

It’s good that he is maintaining weight but it would be good to get the teeth checked by a vet
I have contacted their vet. But does it look like an emergency because I think the earliest appointment I could get will be Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks, I will a look. I have contacted his vet but somehow during breakfast time, he immediately starts biting cage. I am trying to stop him a lot but not sure what to do so that he forgets that. I will block the area in the divider.

One of my pigs chews the bars at the exact times when she is fed instead of wheeking and what I do is go up to her with the food (but don’t show her the food) then stand and wait until she stops chewing the bars before I give her her food so that she knows she will only get food if she isn’t chewing the bars. She will even stand and wait by her food bowl now when it is breakfast/tea time, she does still chew the bars occasionally if I am a bit later with her veggies but this method has really reduced the amount of time she spends chewing the bars.

One of my pigs chews the bars at the exact times when she is fed instead of wheeking and what I do is go up to her with the food (but don’t show her the food) then stand and wait until she stops chewing the bars before I give her her food so that she knows she will only get food if she isn’t chewing the bars. She will even stand and wait by her food bowl now when it is breakfast/tea time, she does still chew the bars occasionally if I am a bit later with her veggies but this method has really reduced the amount of time she spends chewing the bars.
This was a big mistake. I did 😭 I hurry up his breakfast so that he stops chewing and concentrates on food. I did it so wrong. Poor Berry. Thanks. I will change my strategy.

I agree that it isn’t an emergency.
Do ensure your vet is piggy teeth knowledgeable - so few of them are and anything done to teeth by an inexperienced vet can sometimes make things worse

Hi, while doing weekly health check I just noticed that Berry has uneven teeth. I suspect the reason could be because he chews the cage grids. There are two reasons he does that
1. Instead of weeking for food, every time he wants food he starts chewing his cage.
2. Cherry and Berry were not getting along so I had to split their CC cage and he chews the dividing grids. Although it is reduced but still it is.
I will contact his vet regarding his teeth but any suggestion to stop him from chewing cage please?

View attachment 149199

Hi!

Try the tips in this guide link here: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?
You will be dealing with the problem in the way that a dominant piggy in a group would deal with a misbehaving member; it is surprisingly effective because you put the issue in cavy social frame and deal with it in a way that makes total sense to your boy.

I would recomment to see a vet promptly if you see the front teeth becoming even more slanted (could be an indication of dental overgrowth in the back teeth or a brewing incisor root abscess). Also switch from the normal once weekly life long health monitoring weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in order to ensure that you are not potentially overlooking a developing health issue.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

You can also change your cage to cube organizer that doesn't have any metal bars. 🙂 I bought mine on amazon through searching "cube storage organizer diy translucent white."

View attachment 149199

Hi!

Try the tips in this guide link here: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?
You will be dealing with the problem in the way that a dominant piggy in a group would deal with a misbehaving member; it is surprisingly effective because you put the issue in cavy social frame and deal with it in a way that makes total sense to your boy.

I would recomment to see a vet promptly if you see the front teeth becoming even more slanted (could be an indication of dental overgrowth in the back teeth or a brewing incisor root abscess). Also switch from the normal once weekly life long health monitoring weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time in order to ensure that you are not potentially overlooking a developing health issue.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Sure, I will have a look. Thanks

You can also change your cage to cube organizer that doesn't have any metal bars. 🙂 I bought mine on amazon through searching "cube storage organizer diy translucent white."
Thanks, I will check that if the bar chewing doesn't reduce

Back