• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unknown Skin Complaint - Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's home! Very dozy and her breathing is loud but the scab was up to her nostrils so that area has been affected too. She's continuing on baytril and painkiller, with an appointment on Saturday to see how she's doing. The nurse said it looked rather nasty and ulcerated under the scab...I think the vet has done a good job with cosmetic surgery. View attachment 52349 View attachment 52349
I am so hoping the medicines are doing there job, sending healing thoughts. :luv::love::luv:

I really hope she rallies round if her pain is kept under control bless her xx

It's amazing what difference adequate pain management can make to a piggy. It's so good that she fancies a bit of salad and keeps her interested in feeding. I know this is hard but keep up the good work with her X

That's great that the pain relief is kicking in. Do you still need the heart info? it sounds like the breathing issues were due to the scab blocking her nose?

Thanks, I think the breathing issue is just due to a blocked nose, and so far it has kept clear. She has slumped a bit as the pain killer has worn off and she doesn't want to be fed...but she has the strength now to turn around to avoid the syringe! Just got to keep at it...

Ok, let me know if you need it at any point.

Did the vet say you can give any oral pain relief on top of the injection?

Thank you. I'm giving her metacam once a day too...she has to wait until the morning for her next dose.

Thank you. I'm giving her metacam once a day too...she has to wait until the morning for her next dose.

Metacam can be given twice daily if needed- obviously you would need to discuss it with your vet but its worth mentioning. My vet advises me to dose at 0.15ml of dog metacam once a day standard or every 12 hours in cases of higher pain (post op etc) and 0.3ml of cat metacam with the same once or twice dosage x

That's good to know...she's on the cat version, 0.2ml once a day. She has another vet appointment tomorrow afternoon as a check up. It's costing us a fortune as the vets charge for every visit...follow ups used to be free!

Update: we had a better morning today but she is still a bit limp, although shows strength when avoiding being fed! She tried to eat a thin slice of cucumber but couldn't manage it. I removed a sticky scab underneath her nose that was blocking one nostril...it looks raw underneath but not bleeding. She has a lot of that milky eye discharge. Despite the pain she must be in, she still makes happy noises when stroked. Seeing the vet for a check up at 2.30pm.

Update: we had a better morning today but she is still a bit limp, although shows strength when avoiding being fed! She tried to eat a thin slice of cucumber but couldn't manage it. I removed a sticky scab underneath her nose that was blocking one nostril...it looks raw underneath but not bleeding. She has a lot of that milky eye discharge. Despite the pain she must be in, she still makes happy noises when stroked. Seeing the vet for a check up at 2.30pm.

Have they given you anything to bathe area under the nostrils to keep them clear?

Shes probably limp again from pain so its worth mentioning the twice a day metacam dose. The doses my vet advises me are based on a 1kg piggy.

Good luck today x

She was 1.2kg but not sure what she is now. I'm using salt water on her wound and blocked nostrils...they're clear now but she does have some mucus sometimes.

She was 1.2kg but not sure what she is now. I'm using salt water on her wound and blocked nostrils...they're clear now but she does have some mucus sometimes.

You need to be weighing her daily at the moment.. Without that you have no idea how much she is eating. Are you syringe feeding her? Its imperative that a guinea pigs guts are kept moving or they will shut down- however i appreciate that it must be difficult with her having facial surgery.

Some kitchen scales will do the trick x

She's being syringe fed and can hardly eat any regular food. It's been like that since the scab formed a week last Tuesday, she's been to the vets lots of times since then and they've been checking her weight. I can give metacam twice a day and wish they'd told me, the vet yesterday knew the problem was pain and she improved after her pain injection.

Just noticed something else...she's moving more now but she can't get up onto her legs, she's shuffling around on her tummy...I hope her legs are ok! I put her in the cage with the others and she couldn't move over the veggies in the cage.

Just noticed something else...she's moving more now but she can't get up onto her legs, she's shuffling around on her tummy...I hope her legs are ok! I put her in the cage with the others and she couldn't move over the veggies in the cage.

That sounds worrying.. Does she drag the legs or is she just weak? Try giving them a gentle massage and placing her in a standing position to see if she can weight bear..

If she cant i would worry about something else going on. Could she stand when she saw the vet or has this just happened?

This is since surgery. The vet checked her paws yesterday and said she knows where they are, so it's not neurological, she said she was in intense pain having seen her sore during surgery. She is only moving around more now so perhaps just too weak to stand yet. It was the nurse that we saw today who just talked about feeding her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back