• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Unnecessary Euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Had the piggies to the vet today just for a check up before I go on my holiday next week. The vet was telling me that he is now the owner of 2 long haired female piggies after someone came in asking him to put them both to sleep! I can't believe somebody could to that to their piggies. He told me they are 5 years old, 1 has a little lump but they are both healthy enough otherwise. There was no reason why they would need to be put to sleep. He also said they had never seen grass before so they were so nervous the first time he put them out.

Some people can be so cruel! At least they have a lovely home now :)

Sadly, this is something that many vets are confronted with; many vet clinics have nurses, vets, private customers or rescues that are willing to take in these pets. Dumping older piggies that have long since overstayed their welcome is sadly not that rare, especially when it comes to shelling out money for vet treatment. :(

We use to have so many people coming into work asking for small animals but mostly cats to be put down! We had a woman once who came in with a pregnant cat and wanted the pregnancy terminated so when we said to her that if thats what she wanted we would neuter the cat at the same time she started screaming blue murder saying she doesn't want her cat neutered etc etc?! She just didn't wanna deal with the kittens and when we explained it would just keep happening she said she was fine with getting them terminated. I wanted to punch her! In the end we got her to give up the cat to us and she had 4 little black and white kittens so cute! She and her kittens got rehomed too!

I don't understand why anyone would want to put down an animal for seemily no reason.. There's someone out there who would take them! Its just curel getting them put down poor things. I'm glad the vet took them though :D! Poor things!

:evil: Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who just see animals as commodities and think that it is okay to get rid of them in whatever way they see fit. Swines!

I don't understand why anyone would take an animal to be euthanised - which costs money, I might add - when they could just as easily surrender them to a rescue that could find them the loving home they deserve! Same as these cruel 'people' (monsters!) who throw animals in rivers or out of cars, or suffocate them. It makes no sense to me, and I can't imagine how anyone could do such a thing and live with themselves.

I don't understand it either. Thankfully they have found a good home with the vet though!

I had a lovely vet in Fleet once (sadly she has moved now) who would take in all sorts of animals (rabbits, guineas, birds..you name it!). She often used to ring me to find out if I could help rehome something. It used to make her so mad. I ended up giving her one of my spare indoor cages so that she had somewhere to keep them at the vets in case of emergencies. Come to think of it its just as well she moved on otherwise we'd probably have ended up unwittingly with a rescue centre LOl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back