• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unresponsive guinea pig

Nutter Butter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently, my guinea pig (Nutter Butter) has become much less active. She eats a significantly less amount of food than normal, she doesn't move around the cage as much, and squeaks whenever she has to move. I personally believe that her teeth are too long since food had been falling out of her mouth a few weeks ago but it seemed to improve a bit. Now, she refuses to eat (unless in small amounts) and is becoming extremely picky. There’s also been a decrease in fecal production and I’ve heard that these symptoms are non specific signs of disease. I’m planning on getting her to a vet tomorrow as soon as possible. In the mean time, what should I do and what do you think is happening? I’m really worried about Nutter Butter.

Hi!
I'm sorry to hear that Nutter Butter is very poorly. Please get her to a vet as soon as possible. If she’s been acting sick for a while now it’s a matter of urgency to get her to a vet. In the meantime please step in with syringe feeding with critical care or if you don’t have any soaked pellets will do the job. She Must eat in order to keep her gut moving to keep her alive. It’s not a good sign if she isn’t pooping frequently, Please see if you can get her to a vet today.

Most forum members are U.K. based, so they are asleep right now. Which means you won’t get many replies. But everyone will agree that it’s a matter of urgency to get Nutter Butter to a vet today.

good luck, wishing you and your piggy all the best:hug:

Good advise above. You should also start weighing her daily at the same time to see whether she’s losing or maintaining. Then adjust the syringe feeding accordingly. Less poo output (1-2 days behind) means she hasn’t been eating enough hay.

When did she seem to start eating less? You have to remember they’re prey animals so hide their illnesses well. Do get her to the vet as soon as possible. Perhaps think about seeing an out-of-hours vet if they’re available there.

Good advise above. You should also start weighing her daily at the same time to see whether she’s losing or maintaining. Then adjust the syringe feeding accordingly. Less poo output (1-2 days behind) means she hasn’t been eating enough hay.

When did she seem to start eating less? You have to remember they’re prey animals so hide their illnesses well. Do get her to the vet as soon as possible. Perhaps think about seeing an out-of-hours vet if they’re available there.
Hey guys! Thanks for the reply’s and tips. Nutter Butter is going to see the vet today around the afternoon. She’s been eating a few veggies and treats I gave her and has been eating a tiny bit of hay. Unfortunately, I don’t have the equipment to syringe feed her but once we get out of this mess, I’ll be sure to purchase the equipment. Thanks for so much support!

Hey guys! Thanks for the reply’s and tips. Nutter Butter is going to see the vet today around the afternoon. She’s been eating a few veggies and treats I gave her and has been eating a tiny bit of hay. Unfortunately, I don’t have the equipment to syringe feed her but once we get out of this mess, I’ll be sure to purchase the equipment. Thanks for so much support!

Eating veg and treats is not enough, a piggy who isn’t eating hay needs a fibre source to keep the guts functioning, so support feeding is essential.
Can you try mushing us some pellets with water and feeding her from a spoon, it’s really so important

Well done for getting a vet appointment.
It sounds like she really need her teeth to be properly checked as if food is falling out of her mouth she may have a dental issue.

Please let us know how you get on.

Well done for getting a vet appointment.
It sounds like she really need her teeth to be properly checked as if food is falling out of her mouth she may have a dental issue.

Please let us know how you get on.
I’m so sorry guys, my parents won’t let me go to a guinea pig vet until next week. I don’t think I’ll be able to order critical care either and we’ve run out of guinea pig pellets.

I’m so sorry guys, my parents won’t let me go to a guinea pig vet until next week.

Your piggy needs help. If she isnt eating enough then she will become very poorly.. Your parents have a duty to provide vet care when it is needed.
Weigh her daily and you will need to syringe feed her to keep her guts working. She really does need a vet.
Without treatment dental problems get worse, the less hay they eat the more the teeth overgrow.
Do read the guides I linked in earlier on how to feed her.

Your piggy needs help. If she isnt eating enough then she will become very poorly.. Your parents have a duty to provide vet care when it is needed.
Weigh her daily and you will need to syringe feed her to keep her guts working. She really does need a vet.
Without treatment dental problems get worse, the less hay they eat the more the teeth overgrow.
Do read the guides I linked in earlier on how to feed her.
I’ve ordered Critical Care and the needed equipment. Until it arrives on Wednesday, I’ll try to feed her mashed pellets and hay.

You will need to feed her every couple of hours and aim for 60mls of feed in a 24 hour period if she isn’t eating hay (the guides explain). Weigh her daily as if she loses weight then she isn’t being fed enough. If she isn’t eating anything you will likely need to get up in the night as well. Lack of poop output means not enough food is going in.
Feeding is only an emergency measure though, she needs to see a vet soon, next week is too long to wait for a piggy who isn’t eating.
Read the guides that have been linked in

You will need to feed her every couple of hours and aim for 60mls of feed in a 24 hour period if she isn’t eating hay (the guides explain). Weigh her daily as if she loses weight then she isn’t being fed enough. If she isn’t eating anything you will likely need to get up in the night as well. Lack of poop output means not enough food is going in.
Feeding is only an emergency measure though, she needs to see a vet soon, next week is too long to wait for a piggy who isn’t eating.
Read the guides that have been linked in
my parents said that the what list for guinea pig check ups is too long to squeeze in a time, I’ll try my best to keep her happy until then. The appointment is next Monday

If your pig is not eating she will die before next Monday. She needs to see a vet urgently.

Can you email the vets with the issue and then follow up with a phone call? Call while you’re parents are there and try to get an appointment for this week? She really does need to be seen this week and not next. If she’s not eating enough and not getting enough in terms of syringe feeding then weight loss and gut issues will be major by then. Please try and tell them how important it is. Hope they change their minds.

Back