• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unusual Behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiarahlee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, ive had my guinea pig for 3 years now and hes never had any real issues until recently. I cleaned his cage earlier this week about two days ago and today i noticed he hasnt dranken any ofthe newly water i put out, nor has he eaten nor pooped. I looked him over today nd when i took him out of his cage he was kinda limp. He doesnt want to move, he keeps laying down. ive been giving him water through a syringe since about 4'o clock today and not very many improvements. I know this is serious but i dont have money to take him to his vet right now. Any suggestions or recommendations? General statements anything. Any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to say but if a pig has stopped eating and/or pooing it is a matter of urgency that he sees a vet as soon as possible...

I'll have to agree with Katie - this is an urgent situation and your piggy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible

Guinea pig system means that they need to always havr things moving through their system. No eating drinking or poos is serious - and a vet will most likely need to administer gut motility drugs to encourage everything to get going.

You mentioned syringing water, have you also been syringe feeding food?

How are things at the moment? X

I'll have to agree with Katie - this is an urgent situation and your piggy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible

Guinea pig system means that they need to always havr things moving through their system. No eating drinking or poos is serious - and a vet will most likely need to administer gut motility drugs to encourage everything to get going.

You mentioned syringing water, have you also been syringe feeding food?

How are things at the moment? X
Since the water hes been a bit more alert but hes still to himself nd refusing to move around unless its to go into his house.

Is he eating anything? Do you have any critical care powder? Otherwise you could soak some of his pellets and make a paste to use with the syringe.

Any poos at all?

Also if you give him a tap on the side is there a hollow sound at all?

Sorry for lots of questions just trying to build a picture of the situation - where abouts are you based? I would still strongly advise getting to an emergency vets as soon as possible if you can

Is he eating anything? Do you have any critical care powder? Otherwise you could soak some of his pellets and make a paste to use with the syringe.

Any poos at all?

Also if you give him a tap on the side is there a hollow sound at all?
I'm in the process of making his pellet a paste now to syringe feed him but he seems to be moving more in his house. He isnt laying down as much. Still no poos and no i didnt hear any hollow sound ? Not sure how it would sound but it didnt make any sound and ive given his belly small massages and he doesnt seem to have any discomfort. Could he be depressed ?

I think there is more than likely a medical cause - although guinea pigs gastric systems can be affected by stress, however this then turns environmental factor into medical.

Have you managed to get him eat much of the paste? When syringe feeding you need to aim for around 120ml in 24 hours.

Has he eaten anything fresh?

I'll just reiterate that you really need to get him to a vets. How long has it been since he pooed?

You mentioned that this was not possible financially, but if you are UK Based you may qualify for PDSA help.

Thank you all for the help. I found carmelo twitching this morning and in the rush to the clinic he has passed. Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back