Unusual behaviour I havent seen before

Jessb24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have two boars peanut and pablo (both get on well), pablo has been ill with dental issues lately and is in pain a lot, being syringe fed etc. Since he has been ill he has started sticking his face into the side of peanuts fur... he does it frequently and before he was ill ive never seen him do it before? Does anyone know what this is? Its not like he is biting or even grooming his fur he is just pushing his face into the side of him?
Any response much appreciated :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have two boars peanut and pablo (both get on well), pablo has been ill with dental issues lately and is in pain a lot, being syringe fed etc. Since he has been ill he has started sticking his face into the side of peanuts fur... he does it frequently and before he was ill ive never seen him do it before? Does anyone know what this is? Its not like he is biting or even grooming his fur he is just pushing his face into the side of him?
Any response much appreciated :)
Hi!

Recovering guinea pigs will try to get hold of the redigested poos that contain the not yet fully broken down hay/grass fibre plus plenty of gut microbiome in order to restock their own gut. Caecotrophs (which means 'eaten poos') are usually picked up straight from the anus by their makers because they are so precious, so having the nose up the bum is generally the only way for a recovering companion to get hold of one.

If it is very much an issue, try making 'poo soup', which is our not quite as effective but still working way of copying live gut microbiome transfer. You can find the 'recipe' in this link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Jessb24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Recovering guinea pigs will try to get hold of the redigested poos that contain the not yet fully broken down hay/grass fibre plus plenty of gut microbiome in order to restock their own gut. Caecotrophs (which means 'eaten poos') are usually picked up straight from the anus by their makers because they are so precious, so having the nose up the bum is generally the only way for a recovering companion to get hold of one.

If it is very much an issue, try making 'poo soup', which is our not quite as effective but still working way of copying live gut microbiome transfer. You can find the 'recipe' in this link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Thanks for the info! :) I have heard of this but its not the anus area he is going near, he is resting his head into the side of my other pig near the ears