• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unusual female anatomy - should I be concerned?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I check all my piggies’ bottoms at least once a week and today I noticed that Melody’s bits look a little unusual.

I’m not sure exactly what the little ‘bump’ is called but Melody’s looks to be protruding slightly, whereas on my other girls it’s tucked inside and not so round.

Melody is approximately 2 years old, not spayed and hasn’t, to the best of my knowledge, ever had any pregnancies. She’s a healthy weight, has not had any known health issues, and isn’t currently showing any behavioural signs of being in heat.

My sincere apologies to Melody for taking this picture!
BC2155BB-7BFE-4F9C-846E-E66CF7B4D6F4.jpeg

Is it showing when you part the lips or not? I’ve never seen that on a sow so I’d suggest you just get her checked out at the vet. Is she toileting okay?

Is it showing when you part the lips or not? I’ve never seen that on a sow so I’d suggest you just get her checked out at the vet. Is she toileting okay?

It’s visible without parting the lips but more visible when you do. I’ve not noticed any problems with her toileting but I’ll have a closer look today.

Bless her. I hope it turns out to be something simple.

Definitely a vet check for anything that is out of the ordinary for her.

So Is there a definite change to how she normally is, or is she a new piggy and you’ve noticed her genitals look different?

It’s a change to how she normally is. When I was showing Dad earlier it wasn’t as noticeable as this morning so I’m going to try and check regularly and see if I can catch her just after she’s been to the toilet in case there’s something going on there that would make it more pronounced.

I’ve had 19 females over the years and it’s not something I’ve seen before! I’m a little baffled.

Back