• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Unusual respiratory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me with something. After the death of our lovely Shui, we adopted a new guinea pig (Badger). He is 1 1/2 years old and needs to be kept alone (I think he was bullied quite a bit). He is a really lovely little gentleman, but he seems to have a weird respiratory problem. I have already read all the respiratory threads (I always do, before I post anything), and we have already taken him to the vet, who couldn't help, but told us that he seemed healthy.

The way it goes is that sometimes during the night (he does not always sleep in his cage at night, sometimes he sleeps in a woolen blanket - it happens in both locations) or during the day, he seems to breathe like a asthma person (sounds congested and quite serious) and his breathing seems to affect his vocal chords. He then sneezes or coughs and it's completely gone again. It's very irregular, sometimes nothing happens for quite a few days, sometimes it happens during the day. We have tried to monitor it, to see whether it might be hayfewer, but it should be more regular then. The vet said that it was too irregular for an infection and was reluctant to give antibiotics for no reason.

He seems to have a lot of involuntary vocal chord movement as he sometimes makes similar noises when he eats. He seems very healthy otherwise:(|).

Any advice would be very welcome.:(|)

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my mums boy is a bit like this, she also took benni to the vet and he was given the all clear. Since then, he has also been to the vet as his eye seemed to be all watery, again given all clear, but prescribed ointment just in case. Sometimes he appears really snotty and raspy, then eventually does a sneeze and hes fine again.

Conclusion to us is he has allergies.

Hope Badger is ok xx

Cyberpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my mums boy is a bit like this, she also took benni to the vet and he was given the all clear. Since then, he has also been to the vet as his eye seemed to be all watery, again given all clear, but prescribed ointment just in case. Sometimes he appears really snotty and raspy, then eventually does a sneeze and hes fine again.

Conclusion to us is he has allergies.

Hope Badger is ok xx

Thank you:). Maybe that's the most likely conclusion. I wonder if there is anything we could do to make life easier for him? He hasn't got watery eyes at the moment, and generally it doesn't distress him.

As long as it isn't anything serious (e.g. growth on the vocal chord), I'm happy :).

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hmm i dont know how you would know that, it hadnt even occured to me. Would you be able to get the vet to rule this out?

Cyberpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hmm i dont know how you would know that, it hadnt even occured to me. Would you be able to get the vet to rule this out?

I don't know:(:(. I was hoping that one of the more experienced piggy owners might be able to advise me. I'm happy to take him back to the vet, but we did give the vet all this information. The vet practice is in West Lothian, and they are supposedly experienced with small animals (rabbits and guinea pigs).

Is a growth on the vocal chords something that can happen to a guinea pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.