• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Up All Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

So, my new guinea pig is forming a habit. At 4:30 AM, Nugget starts squeaking and doesn't stop! I do not want to get into the habit of feeding Nugget food to stop the squeaks, because 4:30 AM is too early! Although I fed her some lettuce in hopes to stop the squeaking, she kept squeaking up until I had to wake up for work, and even after! Is something wrong, or is Nugget just wanting attention?

Is she an only piggy? it is usually just attention seeking behaviour. Guinea pigs have a different rhythm to humans and are up and about once or twice during the night. Nugget is simply missing company and is feeling lonely.

If she has plenty of hay I and water I would try ignore it or it will become routine for her. If she is an only piggy then getting him some company will probably stop it as she will have someone to interact with.

Is she an only piggy? it is usually just attention seeking behaviour. Guinea pigs have a different rhythm to humans and are up and about once or twice during the night. Nugget is simply missing company and is feeling lonely.

I was thinking that. Yes, currently Nugget is an only piggy, I'm arranging something with a local rescue to bring Nugget to see who she might get a long with to adopt.

If she has plenty of hay I and water I would try ignore it or it will become routine for him.

I tried to ignore it, it was very hard, which is why I got no sleep! Next time, I will not wake up to feed.

That is great news! You can put in a toddler-safe guinea pig sized stuffed toy with her (ideally rubbed in some soiled bedding of hers to smell right) for the time.

Otherwise, don't react, and especially do not feed treats, so she learns that she has to be quiet. leave her with plenty of hay to forage on during the night.

That is great news! You can put in a toddler-safe guinea pig sized stuffed toy with her (ideally rubbed in some soiled bedding of hers to smell right) for the time. Otherwise, don't react so she learns that she has to be quiet.

Oh, that's a great idea! She's still pretty skittish with me, but she's warming up. That's why I am surprised she is squeaking for attention. I will find a stuffed toy her size and see how she reacts. Tonight, if it happens again, I'll (try) to keep sleeping. ;) She gets very noisy!

Oh, that's a great idea! She's still pretty skittish with me, but she's warming up. That's why I am surprised she is squeaking for attention. I will find a stuffed toy her size and see how she reacts. Tonight, if it happens again, I'll (try) to keep sleeping. ;) She gets very noisy!
Giant pile of hay and snuggly toys do wonders!
P.S I love your princess bubblegum avatar!

Giant pile of hay and snuggly toys do wonders!
P.S I love your princess bubblegum avatar!

She has a little box I made that I filled with hay. She also has a paper bag filled with hay. The noise when she plays in it is still a little loud but definitely more tolerable than loud squeaking! I get paid tomorrow and I will be spoiling her with more snuggly toys and new fleece!

Thank you! I love princess bubblegum!

She has a little box I made that I filled with hay. She also has a paper bag filled with hay. The noise when she plays in it is still a little loud but definitely more tolerable than loud squeaking! I get paid tomorrow and I will be spoiling her with more snuggly toys and new fleece!

Thank you! I love princess bubblegum!
It's amazing how much fun piggies can have with a cardboard box. It's my boys favourite toy!

I am a huge LSP fan, mainly because I can do the voice ha!

My boys wake me up every night! I can guarantee I am woken up 3 or 4 times every night by them being crazy! They don't sleep all night like we do, so they are often awake while I am sleeping!

It's good you are looking into a friend, that should defintely help as she won't be doing it for attention!

The worst thing is to get into a habit of feeding them in the middle of the night! I made that mistake at first, I would get up and throw some extra hay in! Instead I now feed my boys their veggies at night before I go to sleep and I find that helps to settle them during the night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back