• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Update on incisor root abscess

51 Home

New Born Pup
Reaction score
[Help!] Here is an update on the situation, which seams really scary... My previous post is linked as below. I wrote about the updated situation under that post 12 hours ago, but few people viewed it and no one replied, probably because it is an 'old post', so I feel maybe it's better to create a new post. Sorry for the duplicate!
Dental - Is an incisor removal necessary?

I gave her a shower yesterday(last shower was half a year ago), after the shower I noticed some really stinky smell. I checked her wound of the abscess, which I think has already healed two months ago, but the wound is open again!
Two months ago, I saw that wound healed to only a needle tip size, and since then I didn't remove the scab. The vet never pointed out anything wrong with the wound, and I never smelled any stinky smell, so I thought the wound healed well.
The shower today probably soften the scab, and some pus came out. The wound is not huge in her normal posture, but if she raise her head, the wound can be a huge hole. And if I look into that hole, I can see one end of that incisor, the incisor that never grows back. I am sure I cannot see the incisor from the hole two months ago. I attached the photo as following. The small white point in the hole is that incisor.
My vet won't be open today and tomorrow, and I am really scared. What does it mean if I can see the incisor from there? Will her wound be infected because of the shower today? I have some SSD cream on hand, should I use it? And does it mean that incisor removal is a must?

Attachments

• 20200322001729.jpg
    20200322001729.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11
[Help!] Here is an update on the situation, which seams really scary... My previous post is linked as below. I wrote about the updated situation under that post 12 hours ago, but few people viewed it and no one replied, probably because it is an 'old post', so I feel maybe it's better to create a new post. Sorry for the duplicate!
Dental - Is an incisor removal necessary?

I gave her a shower yesterday(last shower was half a year ago), after the shower I noticed some really stinky smell. I checked her wound of the abscess, which I think has already healed two months ago, but the wound is open again!
Two months ago, I saw that wound healed to only a needle tip size, and since then I didn't remove the scab. The vet never pointed out anything wrong with the wound, and I never smelled any stinky smell, so I thought the wound healed well.
The shower today probably soften the scab, and some pus came out. The wound is not huge in her normal posture, but if she raise her head, the wound can be a huge hole. And if I look into that hole, I can see one end of that incisor, the incisor that never grows back. I am sure I cannot see the incisor from the hole two months ago. I attached the photo as following. The small white point in the hole is that incisor.
My vet won't be open today and tomorrow, and I am really scared. What does it mean if I can see the incisor from there? Will her wound be infected because of the shower today? I have some SSD cream on hand, should I use it? And does it mean that incisor removal is a must?

Hi!

I am very sorry for the situation you are in. Please keep in mind that we are a UK based forum and that the majority of our members are UK based, too. With the coronavirus pandemy we have got a lot more posts than usual. This means that alerts can sometimes disappear in a wodge of notifications. The fact that thi

Incisors are ca. 4 cm long (ca. 1 1/2 inches); they are running along the upper and lower jaw but the roots are just in front of the other back teeth.

The smell means that the abscess has burst. Please try to get an appointment for your piggy on Tuesday; you will likely need a preferably stong antibiotic.

For interim and further advice on abscess care I am linking in @furryfriends (TEAS) who runs a sanctuary for dental guinea pigs and has the most experience.

Hi!

I am very sorry for the situation you are in. Please keep in mind that we are a UK based forum and that the majority of our members are UK based, too. With the coronavirus pandemy we have got a lot more posts than usual. This means that alerts can sometimes disappear in a wodge of notifications. The fact that thi

Incisors are ca. 4 cm long (ca. 1 1/2 inches); they are running along the upper and lower jaw but the roots are just in front of the other back teeth.

The smell means that the abscess has burst. Please try to get an appointment for your piggy on Tuesday; you will likely need a preferably stong antibiotic.

For interim and further advice on abscess care I am linking in @furryfriends (TEAS) who runs a sanctuary for dental guinea pigs and has the most experience.
Thank you so much for your reply! Here is an updated photo. Apart from the incisor we can see from the previous photo, there is now another white hard thing pointing directly outside the hole. What is that? And does that mean a surgery is needed? It is very hard to get a surgery appointment with my vet, how long can she stand with this situation, if the surgery is a week from now?

Attachments

• 20200322130104.jpg
    20200322130104.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 12
Thank you so much for your reply! Here is an updated photo. Apart from the incisor we can see from the previous photo, there is now another white hard thing pointing directly outside the hole. What is that? And does that mean a surgery is needed? It is very hard to get a surgery appointment with my vet, how long can she stand with this situation, if the surgery is a week from now?

It could be a peg or another bit of the incisor; unfortunately I can only guess.

@furryfriends (TEAS) when she has time to come on will able to advise you on what you can and ideally should do.
Please accept that we are doing this all for free in our free time, and some of us are busier than others.

It very much depends on a hands-on vet examination as to what your vet finds is going on with the tooth. My Hywel had a shard of his abscessed incisor growing back but each case is unique and I am not experienced enough for this.

It could be a peg or another bit of the incisor; unfortunately I can only guess.

@furryfriends (TEAS) when she has time to come on will able to advise you on what you can and ideally should do.
Please accept that we are doing this all for free in our free time, and some of us are busier than others.

It very much depends on a hands-on vet examination as to what your vet finds is going on with the tooth. My Hywel had a shard of his abscessed incisor growing back but each case is unique and I am not experienced enough for this.
Thank you! I deeply appreciate your reply:luv:

The only advice I can give is, you need to see a vet ASAP. One of the reasons I am not on here very much, is that I am currently dealing with a guinea pig who has been seriously ill, due to an abscess not being dealt with properly, by previous vet and he's ended up with the abscess spreading right down his body. This abscess had started in the jaw and by the time he was brought to TEAS, it had burst out through his tummy! Please don't delay!

The only advice I can give is, you need to see a vet ASAP. One of the reasons I am not on here very much, is that I am currently dealing with a guinea pig who has been seriously ill, due to an abscess not being dealt with properly, by previous vet and he's ended up with the abscess spreading right down his body. This abscess had started in the jaw and by the time he was brought to TEAS, it had burst out through his tummy! Please don't delay!
Thank you for your reply! Finger crossed for that poor little piggy!

Back