• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Update On The Rescue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
the truth, it was awful! I don't know where to start. And I ask please please don't judge me for still bringing a boy home!
I'll start with the good point.. The guinea pigs all seemed and looked happy and healthy (they made happy squeaks anyway) and the hutches look clean and so the bottles..
The bad points
Over crowded isn't even the right word. There were lots of tiny little hutches some with 4 pigs in each. Maybe even more. As one lady walked out she had a tube that looked as if it had been smeared with poo. The box for bonding was one of those fold up crates and at one point my poor roddy was in there with another 3 babies. (I'm someone that can't speak my mind) I was horrified but I just couldn't say or do anything. Though I sutbly pointed out that oh he is a no no in a jokey way so she would take one away, and so on.. One thing that horrified me is she said if they fight, you just have to leave them to get on with it...WHAT? She swaps the piggies around willy nilly, so poor things probably fight all the time! So anyway, because one I couldn't say anything,two I'm desperate for a friend for roddy and three I needed to rescue myself atleast one poor piggy from this I have bought home a beautiful ginger boy supposedly 7 weeks old, though he's nearly as big as roddy so not convinced. As I was leaving she said, oh I'll just spray him with this in case he's got mites? You mean you don't check? And then picked roddy up and said he needs some so they smell the same! I'm just so lost at what Ive seen, those poor piggies! I don't know apart from the size of the hutches if it's something the rspca would look into? I'm worried that something might be wrong with this current one (though she did say she quarentines them), that he and roddy might not get on in a few days, what kind of a life these others still there are going to have. I kind of feel traumatised, and feel terrible for staying and not Saying anything but I don't have the confidence to just leave or say what I honk. The good thing that's come out of it though is that I have rescued atleast one the guinea pigs there.
Sorry for the long post I just feel lost, sad, anxious etc

Please don't judge me. I just want what's best for my boys and to try and help the piggies at this supposed rescue

Woah... you have anxiety don't you? So I'm not surprised you just let her get on with it.

If your really worried the best thing to do is take them both to the vets for a check up just in case he does have mites.

This is Tyrion who was about 7 weeks old in this picture, my son is holding him.

mini.jpg

In regards to the place itself, don't know if anyone has any opinions on it but I'm wondering if it should be inspected?

Yes I have a few 'mental health' problems! Sadly. I'm lucky as at palace piggies the lady is a rodentologist and is seeing them both tomorrow :-) I just feel funny about the place and just don't know what to do.

It's hard saying something when you don't agree, I completely understand! No one will judge you for getting a pig out of there!

Maybe the person at palace piggies may have some suggestions for you? and that was nice of her :) Don't beat yourself up about it, you were just trying to get a friend for Roddy :)

I'm the same with mental health and probably would have done the same thing.

I suppose the most you can do is drop a report to the RSPCA, they would do a drop in a make sure the piggies needs are being met.

oh crikey... sounds like a night mare for you ! Report them, then you will feel happier that they will be inspected.. you have rescued the little one too... x

Where is the rescue you went to ?.or what's it called.I would definately report them to the RSPCA.

Palace Piggies are great and they will sort out your little one and help make you feel more at ease.

Oh no! What an awful situation, it can be incredibly hard for anyone to question or challenge the actions of someone who is supposed to be the expert or the leader of a situation, let alone for someone who has anxiety so I understand completely why you felt you couldn't speak up.

I would talk it over with Palace Piggies as they may have more insight into the rescue situation and then file a report if you still feel uncomfortable. By the sounds of things the other rescue has the best of interests but not enough knowledge.

I'm glad you have a friend for Roddy and I hope it all works out, I can't blame you for bringing one home with you!

By the sounds of what you encountered I am not surprised you are feeling so upset. However you should feel proud of yourself for being able to rescue one poor piggie from that situation.

Once you have a chance to settle yourself & your new piggy you can then decide what to do. If in doubt I would suggest contacting the RSPCA and with their experience they will be able to investigate and take whatever action is needed. I believe you can ask to remain anonymous but can request feedback from the RSPCA as to what they had decided. If they feel that everything is ok by their standards then at least you will feel that you have left it in experienced hands. If you don't you might always feel upset that you did not act.

Please be assured that most kind hearted people especially here on this forum will never judge you for caring as much as you obviously do.

Big hugs to you & your piggies :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back