• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

**UPDATED with piccies!** - Icey's lump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For a couple of years now Icey has had a fatty lump on each of her front arm pits. Vets said after taking biopsies that they were nothing more than fatty lumps and that because they don't cause her any pain or affect any daily life then they would be ok left.

One of the lumps is now red, so it seems she may've knocked it. It is not bleeding outside and still feels the same. It does not hurt her either!
Going to bathe it in warm water to see if there's any difference later or in the morning. Then possibly take her to the vets.

It doesn't seem to have got any worse or better over the years. Maybe it could've developed into an abcess?

Re: Icey's lumps

You sure its not a cyst just about to burst?

You see, I don't know. Because of what the vet said before about them. Can fatty lumps turns into cysts? I can get her to the vet tomorrow, but they're not bothering her at all?

Whatever it was it's just burst and loads of yellow pus is out. There is a slight opening and we're going to bathe it every 20 mins or so.

She's off to the vets tomorrow!

OK its best its burst. Use salt water and bath it. Try and get as much as the pus out as you can. Do you have any pain relief at all? Jacques cyst that brust had a hole to. He rone was pusing for a whole week. The vet will probably flush it out. Cysts are fatty lumps. I have had one burst myself on my leg. Also have 3 that dont do anything yet! if you need any more advise give me a shout

oh right. The vet never said anything like that could happen when she got them checked out! That's why these days I don't always follow their advice.

They just said a fatty lump that would cause no problems! Grrrr :(

Thanx, it is salt water that we are bathing the lump with. It seems to have stopped, but making sure it's all clean!

Thanx!

xx

Ok. if the pus has stopped just need to bath 2/3 times a day now. you may find it has us again tomorrow.

They said that with Jacques one on her neck then when I went to put them to bed she had lots of yellow stuff all over her back. So i had to clean her up buthte pus kept coming.

What bedding is she on? Might be wise to use a few vetbeds as they are cleaner

She's out at the minute on a towel wih hay and some food round her. Icey's never been one for moving! No more pus as yet

so sorry, Kelly. Lots of love to you and Icey. xx

It's ok love, thanx. She's fine at the minute. Not causing her any pain at all! My mum has just given her a bath and will bathe the side once more before she goes to bed.

Poor Icey that sounds nasty kelly, my vets get things wrong at times so we got a new excotic vet whos really good, maybe your vet will give her antibotics hope she gets better soon x

Taking her to a different one tomorrow, so hopefully we will find a decent one!

How's Icey today Kelly? I'm surprised that a fatty lump burst like that. Keep it clean, like you're doing, and don't let the wound heal until all the pus is out. She'll feel a lot better for it not it's burst I'm sure.
xx

DebbieR said:
How's Icey today Kelly? I'm surprised that a fatty lump burst like that. Keep it clean, like you're doing, and don't let the wound heal until all the pus is out. She'll feel a lot better for it not it's burst I'm sure.
xx

I'm not surprised. happen to my piggy and to myself too.

mine often have cysts that burst, try to get some hibiscrub, Boots do it and clean it with that its brilliant and the vets use it, try to gently push when cleaning it as it will encourage more pus to come out, I am use to it now and syringe dilute hibiscrub into the hole which flushes it out,
cysts i dont bother the vet with, abcess's I do,as these often need a lot more work on them including surgery more often then not,
I will say though my pigs cysts pus is normally greyish and thick, the cream colour pus is infected pus normally seen in an abcess, hope your vet puts it right, either way they are nothing serious to worry about, just one of those things they tend to get,

Thanx for all you messages, I only just got on now, sorry.

Icey's cyst/abcess is pretty big, although there is nothing left in it now (we think). Both my mum and I bathed it then had a little squeeze. Was thick yellow pus and smelt disgusting!

She's ok, then had a nice warm bath and wasn't in any pain - even when we squeezed it!

Off to the vet tomorrow cos there is one so-called good guinea-pig vet on then, so made an appointment with him//her (can't remember who now!)

She fell asleep with my mum's cat earlier (Bubbles is old and is so gentle). It was so cute! I wish I took my camera!

Tomorrow Icey will have the cyst/abcess removed, then I will keep you all updated!

Thanx! :)

xx Kelly xx

I'm glad Icey is happy even though she has all this drama going on.
Good luck at the vets tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you both.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back