• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Upper Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanessa1104

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 2x5 c&c cage for 2 boars. I want more space for them because they LOVE to run around. Even though I have a lot of space for them, I want to give them more. Anyways, do guinea pigs use upper levels/ ramps and if so tips on how how to train them?

Some love their upstairs lofts, and some never use them.
If you have the grids and supplies then maybe do a trial.
@PiggyOwner makes a good suggestion - a half height loft makes the ramps a lot easier to use.

One of my pairs has a loft and they love it.
They are very active, and because I can get bunk beds in the loft it means I use less floor space downstairs, giving them more room to run.

One of my pairs had a loft for weeks, and Ruby managed to get stuck up there once.
She was then too scared to come down, and after 24 hours in the loft (she had food and water) we lifted her back down.
We left the loft there for a few more weeks, but it wasn't being used so we took it down.

My two year old boars love their loft and like to run up and down the ramp. I have had a pair of 3 - 4 month old boars now for a few days and when they are a bit older I will be trying them with a loft.
@PiggyOwner a half height loft is a brilliant idea, I've always thought the ramps on c & c cages look a bit steep.

My three girls love their loft. Pumpkin worked out how to use it within a couple of hours of being in the new cage. It took Cinnamon about six weeks before she dared venture up but they all use it regularly now and the top of the ramp, with a good view of everything around, is one of the most favoured napping spots.

Spike and Penut are in a commercial cage, because it's large it's also high so we put in a wooden loft floor and ramp. They have a large box in the loft full of hay and they spend loads of time up there eating and sleeping. The new boys are having a C & C so the posibilities are almost endless. @PiggyOwner did you use loft support bars, I've seen them on ebay and wonder if I need to get some.

i build my 2x2 c and c loft a week ago,i have used both the loft supports that came with the kit,it makes it more stable.i have four piggies in there 6 x2.i have found my head tilt lady will not use the ramp,but the other three wizz up and down.i have place a litter tray with megazorb and hay under the ramp,so she can eat hay,and it makes the ramp less steep,and catches any pee and poop,because they seem to have habit of going in that place.!

Spike and Penut are in a commercial cage, because it's large it's also high so we put in a wooden loft floor and ramp. They have a large box in the loft full of hay and they spend loads of time up there eating and sleeping. The new boys are having a C & C so the posibilities are almost endless. @PiggyOwner did you use loft support bars, I've seen them on ebay and wonder if I need to get some.

i build my 2x2 c and c loft a week ago,i have used both the loft supports that came with the kit, it makes it more stable

I used loft supports . They're not essential - but agree with Eileen that it makes the loft feel more stable.

Thank you both, will order some in ready. I didn't order the loft as I have some extra grids that I can build one with have only ordered the 5 x 2 cage. Waiting for Tuesdays delivery is like waiting for Christmas, I'm so excited, anyone would think it was for me not Willow and Bracken!
Sorry @Vanessa1104 I've taken over your thread.

Thank you both, will order some in ready. I didn't order the loft as I have some extra grids that I can build one with have only ordered the 5 x 2 cage. Waiting for Tuesdays delivery is like waiting for Christmas, I'm so excited, anyone would think it was for me not Willow and Bracken!
Sorry @Vanessa1104 I've taken over your thread.
Don't worry about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back