• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

upset with pets at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I phoned p@h yesterday afternoon said id spoke to my vet and they said it was something they would rather left alone so long as it didnt bother him and asked if i could take him. They told me they had booked him into the vet mon but i said i was willing to sign to say id take responsibility for him as he is now so they agreed to let me come and get him. I brought him home before work yesterday and hes in our bedroom at the moment. Sorry i didnt post yesterday i had to go to work after i picked him up and have just finished now. Iv been up to see him and hes eaten some of the veg i left for him but i cant give him alot because p@h told me he only got carrot occasionally. Iv just given him a cuddle and hes actually really tame and relaxed once you get hold of him he lay in my arms doing a little vibrating purr! I'm keeping a close eye on his toe and I'm a little concerned it seems to curl under his paw so hes walking on it but if it causes him any problems il nip him down the vets. They would rather leave it though instead of risking an anesthetic to remove it. Il take some pic after iv had a sleep.

ah thats good news. have you checked his nails it could just be that if his nails were long he is just used to walking that way

good luck and well done

okay first of all an extra toe ISN'T a problem, most pigs live fine with them for the full duration of their lives if they're not removed at birth, ie 2-3 days old.

secondly Pets At Home did not seperate the cavies and bunnies because they cared, it was because of new animal welfare legislation and they were very reluctant to do it.

it cost them a small fortune to have 90% of thier stores refurbished to accomodate seperate guinea pig and bunny villages although they will tell you the re furb's were in the pipe line all along - naturally!

so of course they keep them together out back where no one can see them, but the meet fact that they TOLD you that gives you good and just reason to phone your local RSPCA and get them to take a look. They are allowed to visit "out back" and smack their wrists for such things.

I hope you get the little man okay - the "adoption centre" was dreamed up by some monsterous big wig who thought it would be a good way to get rid of the animals they don't manage to sell before they grow :tickedoff:

well i'm not too pleased with the way the piggies are kept at our local p@h, loads in together, small space, no hay, on sawdust, never see any fresh food, open topped, and glass like fish tank cages they're kept in. not knowing this, i got pansy and peony from there, and peony was pregnant at such a young age :tickedoff: so they obviously have no idea about sexing, luckily they came to me, she was well looked after and her and babies were fine and i could keep them all, but imagine iff she'd gone to an idiot :tickedoff: the only reason i go in there is to get pellets, cos thats what mine were on to start with, and some of their toys and stuff are ok. i always look at the poor piggies, the way they are kept. i'm not saying that all branches are like this, but i'm not very impressed with our local one.

I have two pets at homes near me one is really very good, seperates sexes & the rabbits, good nice big cages, hay and fresh veg, the other on however is shocking, horrible looking straw which the guineas cant even reach, sexes all together, housed with rabbits,no hidey houses, easy for children to reach in and grab the poor things. :tickedoff:

There are three P@H's near me, one of them i couldn't fault really, big cages with mulitstory hutch type things in them, lots of pigloos and toys and hay and fresh veg, separate sexes obviosuly and away from rabbits. The only thing they could improve is that the pigs are on sawdust. The one nearest me is where i got Bumble, Bee and Sephy and that's pretty much the same but maybe could do with bigger space for the piggies but they get away with it because the pigs are babies, the space is enough i think. The other one is horrible, i don't know why i think this, the pigs aren't kept with rabbits, pretty big space etc but the animals always look so depressed in there :( they're always sleeping or just lying there with their eyes open :( in my opinion babies should be really active and alert but they just look so sad :( so i dont go in that one anymore. I think P@H have improved a lot in the last year or so and hopefully they'll continue to do so, but i understand that a lot of branches are way behind the ones near me and i think that's sad.

How do p@h transport the animals to the stores? I had a dream about piggies and rabbits in crates in the back of a lorry. It was horrible! I hope its not true!

I have heard two different things. One is that they use local breeders and the other i hope is not true is that they are banned from using local breeders and are importing guinea pigs from russia because they are cheaper. :'(

I saw a litter of guinea pigs being delivered the other day, she was supposed to come when they closed but couldnt for some reason, the girl that served me was dealing with her, she only had one litter, 2 boys in a carrier and 4 girls in another and she had a local accent (scouse lol) so i presumed she was the breeder, surely they'd deliver more than one litter if they were imported? i hope they're not thats sad :( xx

jom said:
the other i hope is not true is that they are banned from using local breeders and are importing guinea pigs from russia because they are cheaper. :'(

Don't worry, absolutely 100% not-true ;) Where on earth did you hear that?

I'm glad its not true. I got told off a women who runs a rescue who did seem to know what she was on about.

:( i dont know for sure that she wasnt just dropping them off from somewhere she may not have been the breeder i just presumed :( there was an ad for local chinchilla breeders there so maybe its the same for piggies?! xx

jom said:
I got told off a women who runs a rescue who did seem to know what she was on about.

Lol ;D Well, she clearly didn't have a clue in this case! You don't know how much that made me laugh... Russia? How random!

She got told it was because they could mass import them so it worked out cheaper. Id be really glad and relieved its not true. I suspect the boar iv just got is related to my boar popcorn. there a similar age very similar markings and both have signs of inbreeding. He had mange mites and a fungal infection when we got popcorn. Wer also positive his sights bad and think that hes totally blind in one eye.

kinda digressing but still about P@H
Our local P@H now has an adoption 'centre' thinigie too. Saw it today. Oh the poor animals!
2 rats in one glass cabinet thingie hiding under a log bridge with a bit of sawdust on the floor and a bowl of food.
1 rabbit called sticky toffee whose owners couldn't look after him anymore, sitting in another glass cabinet, sitting in the corner looking thoroughly bored.
3rd glass cabinet was a gorgeous bunny called George and the reason for him being up for adoption? Was 'he only has half an ear and his head tilts to the side'...what kind of reason is that!?!?! He was gorgeous too. Kept coming up to the front of the cabinet to have a look at us.
I'll have to keep my daughter away from there actually. She was in tears this morning that we couldn't buy George :'(
I had to say to her that hopefully someone who has space for a rabbit will buy him and give him lots of love.
Thankfully no piggies, don't think I could've left any if there was.

flm1977 said:
3rd glass cabinet was a gorgeous bunny called George and the reason for him being up for adoption? Was 'he only has half an ear and his head tilts to the side'...what kind of reason is that!?!?!

Because, by law, he has a deformity and therefore cannot legally be sold.

neep_neep said:
flm1977 said:
3rd glass cabinet was a gorgeous bunny called George and the reason for him being up for adoption? Was 'he only has half an ear and his head tilts to the side'...what kind of reason is that!?!?!

Because, by law, he has a deformity and therefore cannot legally be sold.

So basically the adoptions are just an area to sell the unsellables? Because it's illegal to sell them, it's easier to get rid of them by making up sob stories like my local store have? One week the rabbits have a sign that says "too old to be sold in the bunny village", a few days later the same sign on the same rabbits' cage says "our owner couldn't look after us any more". What do their "policies" say about that?

What would happen to the rabbits if they didnt put them in the adoption centre? Do animals have to be ill treated to be elligable to be adopted and have a home or can they be in the adoption centre because they cant be sold and have no other way of getting a home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back