• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent advice needed about this little guinea pig I have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I visited a local shop to pick up a few bits. There was a guinea pig in a glass tank about 1x1, all alone, no food or water just a pile of hay in that it was desperately trying to hide in. It was absolutly terrifed. The shop owner was vague when i asked him about it. Didn't even know what sex it was but said it was about 8 weeks old.

Long story short I expressed my concern about its welfare and they let me have it.

I already keep GP's but have never had one younger than about 5/6 months.

This one is male (now called Alfie) and is absolutly terrified. I put it in a hutch alone at first but it seemed overwhelmed. So I put it in a smaller cage where I can keep a close eye on him. He doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I put a small shallow bowl of water and some hay etc in the bedroom area so he doesn't have to come out but he hasn't touched it. When I hold him he snuggles to my chest and purrs! but the rest of the time he is cowering under the blankets in his sleeping area.

I have an appointment at the vets tomorrow afternoon and I'm also going along to see a guy at a nearby rescue on Tuesday as he has a 3 month old boar that is very timid so we are going to see if they like each other.

I'm a bit worried that he is younger than 8 weeks. I swear when I hold him he is trying to suck my neck as if he is trying to suckle.

I feel like I should be doing something else in the mean time. Does anyone have any advice please?

Sounds like your doing everyhting right. My mums girls were the same when she took them, terrified of everything. we got a little cardboard box in the cage (with a doorway cut in) and put the veggies in there so they would have somewere they felt secure to eat! Good luck!

He looks like he has tiny flecks of dandruff, does that sound like mites or something?

welcome :) i would guess he is between 4-6 weeks but he may be older. i have a 5 months old boy that only weighs 600g

if it was me i would leave him for the night but count the pellets so you can tell if he has eaten some, sad i know but i have done it. he may feel more comfortable when its quiet and dark. he will take a few days to settle in. do you have any other piggies nearby he could talk to? might help.

good luck at the vets.

have you noticed him pass any poops?

if not its worth you syringe feeding him!

get some guinea pig pellets pour boiling water on them wait 15mins then add more boiling water then wait another 15mins then mush with a fork until smooth, wait for it go cold and syringe feed him with a 1ml syringe every 3-4 ,

poss down to him been so scared to and he is most probley picking at food, you could weigh the food out before giving it him and weighing it again later to see if any food has been ate x

He has definitely done a few little poo's, I had a good look before.

We do have 2 other guineas, There hutch is in the hall so I'll put Alfie nearby to them. Shall I put them so they can see each other?

well its good that he is pooping. i agree with claire talking yes seeing maybe not.

I hope your new little one is doing well :)
Welcome to the forum :)
Hope you update us soon and post some pigtures x)
THe little one may not have used a bowl, perhaps he'd used a water bottle? just a thought.......
Good luck

Glynis, Velvet and Onyx x

Oh poor wee man, I'm so glad you found him or goodness knows what kind of life he may have had :( He's probably just scared at the minute with the change of surroundings, hope it all goes well at the vets tomorrow, and can't wait for pictures of the little one! Good luck xox

Oh poor little fella, I hope he gets on OK at the vets, let us know how it goes. Luckily he has a lovely home now and will come out of his shell :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back