• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent Advice Needed - Feeding Excuse Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi&Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
had to take Fluffy in as an emergency this morning, she had a head tilt and was shuddering. The vet is hoping it is 'just' a middle ear infection - she's given us anti inflammatory antibiotics and some rescue feed. The trouble is that Fluffy is really resistant to taking the rescue feed - we are using a syringe but she is not accepting it - pushing it out - and squawking. Has anyone any advice?

had to take Fluffy in as an emergency this morning, she had a head tilt and was shuddering. The vet is hoping it is 'just' a middle ear infection - she's given us anti inflammatory antibiotics and some rescue feed. The trouble is that Fluffy is really resistant to taking the rescue feed - we are using a syringe but she is not accepting it - pushing it out - and squawking. Has anyone any advice?

Try mushed up pellets or a mix of her usual pellets and rescue feed to help mask the taste. The important thing for any guinea off their food is to get some fibre and water in to keep the guts going. Try to offer fresh grass or herbs in between syringes to see whether she is still eating on her own and adjust the amounts/frequency to that.
It can be a struggle to feed guinea pigs that are feeling very unwell, but please persist to get them through the crisis.

You may find the tips in our illustrated step-by-step guide helpful with tips from how to prep the syringe and feed to how to best hold an uncooperative piggy to how much/how often to feed etc.: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

All the best with the recovery! Good that you have had Fluffy seen promptly!

Are you using a 1ml syringe with the end cut off? It will help, make sure the plunger cant come out and file the rough bits off. Try as Wiebke has said above mushed up pellets. Sending lot of healing vibes

Are you using a 1ml syringe with the end cut off? It will help, make sure the plunger cant come out and file the rough bits off. Try as Wiebke has said above mushed up pellets. Sending lot of healing vibes
Try mushed up pellets or a mix of her usual pellets and rescue feed to help mask the taste. The important thing for any guinea off their food is to get some fibre and water in to keep the guts going. Try to offer fresh grass or herbs in between syringes to see whether she is still eating on her own and adjust the amounts/frequency to that.
It can be a struggle to feed guinea pigs that are feeling very unwell, but please persist to get them through the crisis.

You may find the tips in our illustrated step-by-step guide helpful with tips from how to prep the syringe and feed to how to best hold an uncooperative piggy to how much/how often to feed etc.: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

All the best with the recovery! Good that you have had Fluffy seen promptly!

Thank you both. Yes I am using syringe with end cut off (the vets were lovely and provided me with one, ends filed down and all). I have just managed to get a little down her (and a lot over me!). Also managed to get a little water down her, so keeping everything crossed.

I have partitioned a part of the candc cage off for her, is this the right thing to do, all the guinea pigs are stressed but as she has such impaired mobility it didn't feel safe to have her with the rest.

Thank you both. Yes I am using syringe with end cut off (the vets were lovely and provided me with one, ends filed down and all). I have just managed to get a little down her (and a lot over me!). Also managed to get a little water down her, so keeping everything crossed.

I have partitioned a part of the candc cage off for her, is this the right thing to do, all the guinea pigs are stressed but as she has such impaired mobility it didn't feel safe to have her with the rest.

Yes, partitioning is fine under the circumstances. The less you get in, the more often you need to feed round the clock. If you have got a family member that could help with feeding may make things easier. A lot of it is down to practice. We have got pictures of ways that can help you to manage on your own in our guide if help from another person is not an option.

Yes, partitioning is fine under the circumstances. The less you get in, the more often you need to feed round the clock. If you have got a family member that could help with feeding may make things easier. A lot of it is down to practice. We have got pictures of ways that can help you to manage on your own in our guide if help from another person is not an option.
My son is helping as Fluffy is his. He's been very good, though distressed himself. Fluffy did wee on him which I. Hoping is good as suggests she isn't dehydrated at the moment. Will keep with food and water little but often.

My son is helping as Fluffy is his. He's been very good, though distressed himself. Fluffy did wee on him which I. Hoping is good as suggests she isn't dehydrated at the moment. Will keep with food and water little but often.

It is a distressing time for every loving owner! But you are doing all the right things to give Fluffy a chance to make it through. Weeing and pooing is a very good sign.

Weigh daily at the same time to check the actual food intake. Just get as much into her as possible; right now your main aim to keep her alive. She can catch up with the rest when she is feeling better in herself again. Keep her warm and comfy, but not hot (i.e. microwave any snugglesafes only for half the maximum time and rather reheat after 5-6 hours instead of 10-12).

Sorry to hear this :(
Get well soon Fluffy :hug:

Sadly Fluffy didn't make it, had to taker her to the emergency vet this evening as she was lying on her side shuddering and obviously distressed. The vet decided it would be best at that point to put her out of her pain rather than attempting further treatment. Sam is devastated. RIP Fluffy

Oh no! :(

I am so sorry for your loss.

R.I.P Fluffy & sending you lots of love and hugs :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back