Urgent Advice Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there everyone...I'm getting so worried about my eldest guinea pig, Leo.

I was letting the pigs get some exercise, then the next thing I know there is a patch of blood and noticed the top of Leo's nail was split.

I really don't know what to do. He's eating, but he looks extremely uncomfortable standing on that paw. Also, he keeps trying to bite the actual nail off which is worrying me further...

What do I need to do? :( Is it best to take him to the vet as soon as?

The wound is crusty, but I gently touched it and there was a bit of blood on my finger.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If in any doubt take him to the vet, it will put your mind at rest.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nails, Torn Occasionally a Guinea Pig may catch a Nail and tear it completely off. If bleeding is excessive, styptic powder may help(Probably American). Usually the nail will grow back, although it maybe a month before you see a new one. See a vet if there is any sign of infection(swelling, tenderness, hot too touch).

http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#injury

It happened too both my Pebbles and Patrick although I didn't witness it just noticed there nails were gone. I didn't have any problem, but I do agree with Charlotte if in doubt I would see a vet.

Last edited:

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would make sure the toe is clean and any wound is cleaned out thoroughly. Like human nails, it will grow back. Maybe I would give the little guy some metacam just to make him feel a little more comfortable too.

As ever, if in doubt, go to the vet. My general rule is that if I feel like "maybe", "possibly" I "should" go to the vet - that means go...

Healing vibes from us! Poor little guy. :)

Reaction score
If in any doubt take him to the vet, it will put your mind at rest.
Yeah...I need to make sure he's not in a lot of pain... :(

Nails, Torn Occasionally a Guinea Pig may catch a Nail and tear it completely off. If bleeding is excessive, styptic powder may help(Probably American). Usually the nail will grow back, although it maybe a month before you see a new one. See a vet if there is any sign of infection(swelling, tenderness, hot too touch).

http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#injury

It happened too both my Pebbles and Patrick although I didn't witness it just noticed there nails were gone. I didn't have any problem, but I do agree with Charlotte if in doubt I would see a vet.
That's actually calmed me down a little to know that it's sort of 'normal'... It was just a bit stressful seeing a patch of blood. To me, the patch was pretty large; it was sort of the size of 2 gold balls together. (If that makes any sense at all!) I wonder if that's normal or comes under excessive bleeding? :(

Thank you so much for your advice. <3~ xx

I would make sure the toe is clean and any wound is cleaned out thoroughly. Like human nails, it will grow back. Maybe I would give the little guy some metacam just to make him feel a little more comfortable too.

As ever, if in doubt, go to the vet. My general rule is that if I feel like "maybe", "possibly" I "should" go to the vet - that means go...

Healing vibes from us! Poor little guy. :)
I'm not sure what to use to clean it, so I just used some luke-warm water. <3 Pardon my ignorance, but that is metacam? I'm sorry, I've just never heard of it. :S

I think it would be best to go to the vet just to make sure he's not in any pain at all. He just looks too uncomfortable with the nail still sort of being attached. :(

I'm gonna go ahead and book an appointment at the vet for him...I know it might seem trivial but I just want to be sure. <3

Thank you so much for your advice everyone. <3~ xx

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Metacam is a vetinary anti-inflammatory/pain killer in liquid form which you can syringe feed to a piggy. It generally just makes them feel a bit more comfortable and relieves a lot of pain and any swelling. You can ask your vet about it if you go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.