• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent! Dead Piggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boombeach123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum but today my guinea pig died :( so I made a coffin out of some cardboard but the hole was only 6-8 inches deep, so there was only 1-2 inches of soil on top of the coffin. I put a rock on top. After reading other guides, I am not sure that I buried it deep enough. What should I do? I am scared to open back up the grave because it might smell from organ decay. Should I dig deeper, or should I put some wood or larger rocks on it? Please help because I don't want to dig him up and have him half decayed :(

Sorry for your loss. I guess it depends how long ago this happened, if it was very recent then i'd dig a bigger hole and transfer but if you really don't want to then i'd put stones on top like you said. The deeper the better as you don't want other animals smelling something then trying to dig up. Not an expert, just saying what i'd personally do.

I bury mine in big flower pots, l put soil over the body and then a piece of wire mesh then more soil. Then plant some nice plants on top. Then you can put the pot somewhere close to the house where its less likely to be disturbed. The bodies rot very quickly as the pot gets warm in the sunshine. Sorry for your loss x

Sorry for your loss.If he is in a box it should be OK to move him and dig deeper or you could just use rocks to make it safer.

Thank you for all your support guys! Yesterday I dug him back up and made the hole so it was in total like 14-16 inches deep. I also put the fence like pig in the city said. However, my other guinea pig who is also a male has not been eating a lot recently and I see him sometimes just lying on the ground completely on one side. What should I do to make him feel better? Also, should I get him another buddy?

Thank you for all your support guys! Yesterday I dug him back up and made the hole so it was in total like 14-16 inches deep. I also put the fence like pig in the city said. However, my other guinea pig who is also a male has not been eating a lot recently and I see him sometimes just lying on the ground completely on one side. What should I do to make him feel better? Also, should I get him another buddy?
This is a good thread ...

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

When the time is right for you - it would be seeing if there is a rescue near you that you could contact to find a compatible companion for your Guinea Pig

Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back