• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urgent Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please I need help, my friends guinea pigs have something wrong with them!

Her female adult has died and one of her babies have also died, two others are also dying currently, they are both laying on their sides and one of them is gasping for air and using their front legs to try and run away but is sat on the side so obviously not moving anywhere, their heads are tilted very far back.

Does anyone have any idea whats happened? She's absolutely devastated and has no idea what to do, there aren't any emergency vets around her as she lives in a fairly secluded area.

Unfortunately of the internet there is nothing that can be done. Where are they housed? What is the reason for the sow having babies ?

Unfortunately of the internet there is nothing that can be done. Where are they housed? What is the reason for the sow having babies ?
They are housed in hutches in her garden and I think they were in a run when it happened and it was accidental I believe, but she was a breeding sow at her old home before she came to my friend so it's not like she can't take it.

I don't understand how a pregnancy can be accidental. It could be that the poor sow has been not well looked after in the past and this litter has possibly been too much. There may also have been something wrong with the babies although due to age not sure how likely this is.

It is not a responsible attitude to say "it's not like she can't take it" it is also not responsible to not have had a vet sorted Incase an emergency did arise.

I really hope they haven't suffered :(

I don't understand how a pregnancy can be accidental. It could be that the poor sow has been not well looked after in the past and this litter has possibly been too much. There may also have been something wrong with the babies although due to age not sure how likely this is.

It is not a responsible attitude to say "it's not like she can't take it" it is also not responsible to not have had a vet sorted Incase an emergency did arise.

I really hope they haven't suffered :(
Well considering she has males and females in a large run with hutches attached the male got in with the females, luckily only one became pregnant and I'm calling it as I see it, she came from a bad place where she was bred with a lot, she was a very very strong guinea pig and I have looked after her myself I can vouch for it. I probably shouldn't have worded it like that but it's a stressful situation and I'm trying to be a good friend and get help her as much as possible.

They aren't my guinea pigs so what can I say? I have an emergency vet.

Hate to say it but they probably have, due to where she lives foxes are relatively common which is why her run is fully covered but I believe a fox has either got in with them or has stressed them out enough to cause a heart attack or maybe they've ran and because its dark ran into the run and cause neck injuries?

I know you said the vet wasn't an option but please at least call them for advice. It sounds like it may be some kind of bug affecting them all, maybe a walking pneumonia but only a vet can help at this stage even if it is to help them to the bridge.

Last edited:
Oh how absolutely awful and tragic. I have no idea what could be wrong with them but it sounds horrific.

Poor things. My guess would be some sort of contagious respiratory illness, seeing as they are all sick with the same symptoms at once. Without a vet to diagnose and prescribe something, the outlook probably isn't good. :(

Is there a chance they were able to eat something bad for them? Like maybe a poisonous plant? It has to be something that all of them can get if they are all suffering from it at the same time.

I am very sorry! It looks like it is something poisonous they have been eating or breathing rather than an infection?

Please ask your friend to have any survivors seen by a vet asap!

Posted very quickly on my phone last night and having seen the other responses I agree that it is likely to be related to something they have eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back