• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URI and Abscess

denverguineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A couple days ago I noticed two of my pigs (Dulce and Capone) sneezing quite a bit. Upon further inspection, I found discharge in their nose and eyes. I immediately booked a vet appointment for today. Over the past couple days I hadn't seen Dulce eating. Once we got to the vet, the vet noticed a very large abcess under Dulce's jaw. She drained it and cleaned it out and thankfully it was only caused by a bite or scratch, not a tooth related abscess. He was also a little bloated.
Dulce is on Metacam for the next four days, Chloramphenicol for the next 14 days, and Critical Care until he starts eating. Capone is on Enrofloxacin for the next 14 days.
What are some tips for syringe feeding and making sure they are as comfortable and safe as possible?

denverguineas

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Also, my vet (who is a trained and experienced piggy vet) closed the abscess and told me not to try and clean/flush it. Dulce is on chloramphenicol, which I heard is good for abscesses. Should I try and flush it even though my vet told me not to? There isn't really an open hole.