• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URI and Coccidia!

CV26

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Potted summary so far
  • Dash and Spud both diagnosed with URIs back in late August and put on Sulfatrim
  • Spud seems fine now but Dash didn't get over it and last week ended up back at the vets for some hefty treatment and a new antibiotic
  • After a rocky week (and lots of tears from me as he was in a bit of a sorry state for a few days), he seems on the mend today and even perkier than before but I took some poop in as part of his latest check up and the vet has found Coccidia!
The vet seemed relatively calm about the whole thing and I'm popping back after work to pick up some more meds for Dash - he isn't suffering from the ill effects of the parasite at the moment but the vet didn't want to chance anything with the URI still in full swing.

But I've done some quick reading and I've scared myself! The advice I found suggested full on burn bedding mode! Changes every day, disinfect everything including myself etc etc. Then something else I read said they can have it for life and it can flare up when triggered by stress etc. So it sounds pretty resistant in the first place.

Spud and Dash are neighbours so theres a good chance Spud has it anyway - although the vet didnt suggest anything else for him at the moment. There are soft furnishings in their room. I have a cat too. The vet didn't offer additional cleaning advice along with the meds so I'm wondering how far I really need to go. If they're stuck with it anyway now they've got it and it's more management than cure, will burning everything make a difference if it only take one leftover to kick it all off again?

I've been lucky and never had problems with piggies before and I'm struggling a bit with it all. Any advice? As always, general googling hasn't seemed to help!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Potted summary so far
  • Dash and Spud both diagnosed with URIs back in late August and put on Sulfatrim
  • Spud seems fine now but Dash didn't get over it and last week ended up back at the vets for some hefty treatment and a new antibiotic
  • After a rocky week (and lots of tears from me as he was in a bit of a sorry state for a few days), he seems on the mend today and even perkier than before but I took some poop in as part of his latest check up and the vet has found Coccidia!
The vet seemed relatively calm about the whole thing and I'm popping back after work to pick up some more meds for Dash - he isn't suffering from the ill effects of the parasite at the moment but the vet didn't want to chance anything with the URI still in full swing.

But I've done some quick reading and I've scared myself! The advice I found suggested full on burn bedding mode! Changes every day, disinfect everything including myself etc etc. Then something else I read said they can have it for life and it can flare up when triggered by stress etc. So it sounds pretty resistant in the first place.

Spud and Dash are neighbours so theres a good chance Spud has it anyway - although the vet didnt suggest anything else for him at the moment. There are soft furnishings in their room. I have a cat too. The vet didn't offer additional cleaning advice along with the meds so I'm wondering how far I really need to go. If they're stuck with it anyway now they've got it and it's more management than cure, will burning everything make a difference if it only take one leftover to kick it all off again?

I've been lucky and never had problems with piggies before and I'm struggling a bit with it all. Any advice? As always, general googling hasn't seemed to help!
Hi!

You may find this link helpful: Cavy Savvy Guinea Pig Community

I would also recommend that you contact East Anglian Guinea Pig Rescue. They have had to deal with an outbreak about two tears ago and will surely help you with all the practical tips as they are the only place I know of that has so far had to deal with it and that has got over it. At least I think it was coccidiosis!
East Anglian Guinea Pig Rescue