• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Uri, How Long To Respond To Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, so we got two guinea pigs from P@H, which I slightly regret now, as after a short time I noticed one of the boys was breathing heavily so we spoke to the manager there, and he had him seen by their in house vet. His weight was low, and when we brought him home he was at 0.610kg, which was a big improvement from his weight when we brought him in. He's been on 0.05ml of baytril twice daily, with the week course finishing tomorrow. We brought him home about four days into the treatment, as I felt he'd get better treatment and attention from us here. should he still be breathing heavy? Not as heavy as he was before the baytril, but still not regular. He's eating fine, plenty of veg and pellets, although he is sneezing occasionally. Any advice is good! Thanks

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry to hear your little one is poorly

Tagging in @helen105281 @Pebble @Abi_nurse for dose rates on baytril for a smaller piggy

Which area do you live in? We be able to suggest a good vet nearby..

It sounds like he may need a longer course of AB's if his breathing is better but still not right., he is better with you than kept at pets at home for sure :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Please have your little boy seen by an independent vet to determine whether he may need a longer course, a stronger dose, a stronger antibiotic or whether the breathing issues could have got another cause. We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar. P@h vets are general vets and they give just the standard treatment. How old is your boy roughly?

As we are dealing with members from all over the world, you can help us a lot by adding your county or city to your details, so we can adapt any advice and (local) recommendations straight away. You can do so by clicking on the your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thanks1

DW22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good to hear I did the right thing bringing him home, his cage mate was missing him. I live in Merseyside, I've always used a vets in Oxton village when I had hamsters, they were usually great, not sure how they are with pigs though.

DW22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He's about 4 months I was told, I'm in Merseyside, I'll add to my profile soon thanks!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That baytril dose is far to low if it's the usual 2.5% solution. I agree with Wiebke that you should look for a better more piggie savvy vet to have a look at your little ones. Due to unhealthy and rubbish breeding I wouldn't be surprised if your piggies had underlying respiratory disease like pasturella. This can be managed but I would definately see a piggie friendly or exotics vet for them.

x

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
OK - let's take this a step at a time.

1) It will take at least 48-96 hours to see an improvement from administration of an antibioitc - assuming you have got the right anitbiotic and the correct dose.

2) Baytril is the inexperienced vets abx of choice for piggies
If a 2.5% solution given he weighs 600g - the dose should be 0.3ml twice daily
If a 10% solution = dose should be 0.075 twice daily

3) If no improvement within 4 days - find yousself a proper cavy savvy vet to take swabs/administer differnet abx

4) Keep all receipts and send then to P@H with a complaint letter for reimbursement...but above all - don;t use their vets - find yourself a good cavy savvy vet via our vet locator

HTH
sss

Status
Not open for further replies.