• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Uri - retching and sneezing fluid.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to the emergency vet tonight, as Brambles is retching and sneezing fluid. She was fine at veggies this morning, no weight loss however this evening she didn't come out for veggies.

The vet has advised it is a Uri, I am currently trying to syringe feed however it's almost impossible due to the retching of fluid.

She had an antibiotic and diuretic injections, antibiotic of Baytril, metacam and probiotics. Has anyone ever experienced this with a guinea pig before, the fluid is really concerning.

I’ve found this happens with severe bloat, or when they can’t swallow for whatever reason. Saliva forms in the mouth, but because they can’t swallow it, they do that dreadful retching and it pours out of the mouth. Gut motility drugs have sometimes helped, but sadly I’ve lost a few to these symptoms.
I hope your little one starts to show signs of improvement xx

I have just given gut mobility medicine. I have honestly never seen anything like this. She is soaked in fluids, she has perked up since the antibiotics. I am going to going to try and feed every so often however I am very scared that I may aspirate her.

@furryfriends (TEAS) have you had any recover from these symptoms?

I have just given gut mobility medicine. I have honestly never seen anything like this. She is soaked in fluids, she has perked up since the antibiotics. I am going to going to try and feed every so often however I am very scared that I may aspirate her.

@furryfriends (TEAS) have you had any recover from these symptoms?
I’ve had the occasional one recover, but sadly I’ve generally lost them, when they’ve been like this. It becomes impossible to get food or oral meds in. I’ll keep everything crossed that she recovers xx

I went to the emergency vet tonight, as Brambles is retching and sneezing fluid. She was fine at veggies this morning, no weight loss however this evening she didn't come out for veggies.

The vet has advised it is a Uri, I am currently trying to syringe feed however it's almost impossible due to the retching of fluid.

She had an antibiotic and diuretic injections, antibiotic of Baytril, metacam and probiotics. Has anyone ever experienced this with a guinea pig before, the fluid is really concerning.

Hi!

These can be symptoms of a twisted gut; especially the retching, heaving and vomiting. It comes on very suddenly and gets worse very quickly. Unless you are extremely lucky to have immediate access to an exotics vet's operation table, there is nothing you can do. :(

These are not symptoms of a respiratory infection but of a blockage somewhere along the whole digestive tract from the mouth to the anus. Saliva, which is constantly produced can no longer pass and builds up to eventually come out of mouth or nose.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating (see chapter on severe bloat)

I am ever so sorry; this is the kind of news that nobody ever wants to get.

HUGS

We went back to the vet today, she has pneumonia she has been admitted to have supportive care and injectible antibiotics, as I was really struggling to get food into her during the night due to the fluid. They are going to update me at lunchtime. *Fingers crossed for good news*.

Have just put a watch on this thread. Really hope your piggy Bramble pulls through. It's such a worrying time for you. Have a virtual hug :hug:in fact have several because one hug is never enough :hug::hug::hug:.

Fingers very firmly crossed for Bramble!

Poor Bramble and poor you, sending :hug:hope Bramble pulls through x

Sending Bramble healing vibes and hugs to you. So sorry you are going through this.

I'm afraid Brambles didn't make it. Rest well little Girly, I'm glad your no longer in pain. 💖

I’m so sorry for your loss. The retching really makes me believe it was gas in the stomach (stomach dilation) with the gut starting to twist.
I experienced the same thing over a month ago. It’s horrible and comes out of nowhere. It’s usually not noticed until it’s too late (usually the day they start retching as that’s when the stomach twists). I was distraught when it happened to me, because it really just appeared from nowhere and killed Peanut. I read all sorts of case studies. What I learned was that it’s a condition usually diagnosed at the point it’s already fatal. If you manage to catch it beforehand, the chance of survival after the procedure to remove the gas is still very low.
So please be kind to yourself. You did everything you could. I wasn’t being kind to myself until I realised that I couldn’t hate myself for him dying over a condition that hides itself until practically death.
I’m so so sorry for your loss :(

Back