Wigglypig
Junior Guinea Pig
Hello,
I have two new piggies - Honey and Coco. I have had them for 2 weeks tomorrow and they are now around 12 weeks old.
Last night, Honey was showing signs of a URI, faster than usual abdominal breathing and clicking noise coming from her nose. I called out of hours vet and they were happy for me to wait and take her in this morning as she was eating, drinking and otherwise her usual self. No weight loss, but also very little gain, just a few grams over the past 5 days but this may be due to the first weigh being on a full tummy!
Took her this morning and the vet prescribed Baytril 0.14ml 2x daily and metacam 0.07ml 1x daily. I gave first dose of both just before lunch time today, although I don't think she got it all in!
Anyway, this evening she seems like she has almost completely recovered. No signs of abnormal breathing, (maybe only very slightly faster than her sister), no clicking noise, still eating and drinking fine, playing in tunnels with Coco and popcorning. I will continue with the meds and run the course for the week prescribed. However, I'm worried that the diagnosis was wrong and that I'll be giving her medication that she doesn't need?
I just wanted to check that I'm doing the right thing by continuing with meds? Perhaps our initial thoughts of a URI were wrong? Has anyone else's guineas appeared unwell and then seemed fine later just after one dose of meds?
It's been a few years since I had my last piggy, Wiggles, he lived to the lovely age of 8
he had many health problems, so I'm not new to the piggy nursing! His brother sadly passed at age 4, he became very poorly with URI and further complications, so perhaps I'm over thinking things.
Any advice would be appreciated
I have attached a photo of the girls, you can probably guess which one honey is
both little cuties 
I have two new piggies - Honey and Coco. I have had them for 2 weeks tomorrow and they are now around 12 weeks old.
Last night, Honey was showing signs of a URI, faster than usual abdominal breathing and clicking noise coming from her nose. I called out of hours vet and they were happy for me to wait and take her in this morning as she was eating, drinking and otherwise her usual self. No weight loss, but also very little gain, just a few grams over the past 5 days but this may be due to the first weigh being on a full tummy!
Took her this morning and the vet prescribed Baytril 0.14ml 2x daily and metacam 0.07ml 1x daily. I gave first dose of both just before lunch time today, although I don't think she got it all in!
Anyway, this evening she seems like she has almost completely recovered. No signs of abnormal breathing, (maybe only very slightly faster than her sister), no clicking noise, still eating and drinking fine, playing in tunnels with Coco and popcorning. I will continue with the meds and run the course for the week prescribed. However, I'm worried that the diagnosis was wrong and that I'll be giving her medication that she doesn't need?
I just wanted to check that I'm doing the right thing by continuing with meds? Perhaps our initial thoughts of a URI were wrong? Has anyone else's guineas appeared unwell and then seemed fine later just after one dose of meds?
It's been a few years since I had my last piggy, Wiggles, he lived to the lovely age of 8
Any advice would be appreciated
I have attached a photo of the girls, you can probably guess which one honey is