• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URI?? vets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my guinea pigs has sounded quite chesty when eating yesterday, and I was thinking of booking the vets today....

but today he seems fine, doesn't sound chey or wheexy I'm not sure what to do now?

He is eating fine, no discharge or runny nose.

Should I take him to the vets anyway?

Hi thats a tough one, i think personally i would have to just to be on the safe side, hope the little one is ok x

I would defo take him to the vets. As long as they are good with guinea pigs? Speaking from personal experience with URIs

Hold his chest and then his throat to your ear. If it still sounds crackly, book him in. If not be ready to do so as soon as the crackling returns.

Get some children's sudafed expectorant from the pharmacy. You can give up to 0.2ml twice daily. That will help bridging the gap until he can be seen and hoepfully ease the breathing.

I've got to a stage where anything like that, I get our vet to check them out. I've got one boar who's had a couple of URIs and, since they can worsen very quickly, my first response is to get him to the vet.

If you can follow Wiebke's instructions and he's doing well, that could save you a trip and a few quid.

My general rule is that if I have any doubts or concerns, it's striaght to the vet.

Thanks everyone,

I have listened to his chest and can't be sure if he sounds normal or not so he is booked in for 4.50 today to see the vet:))

I know it is more money, but I don't want to take a chance.

Typical though we have already paid out for my other boar who had a uti £30, a dog with a persistant ear infection £408 and a hamster who we sadly had to have pts in ou of hours vets £80 but animals are my life.

Animals are your life....and they own your bank account! I feel that pain...

I hope the appointment goes well, I admit to being a touch paranoid about URIs and their symptoms at the moment after losing Frankie two weeks ago.

Thanks..

I am back from the vets, it turns out his chest is clear no infection! vet says he could be allergic to something.

He has got mites whch I have been treating and the vet said it could take time and put some more ivomectin spot on.

Bill was £23 not bad!

That's great news. You must be relieved it's not an infection.

I'm just trying to think what might be causing an allergic reaction.

Does the little piggle in question sneeze a lot too?

It could be anything but just an idea - my Biscuit had a real hard time when we used to use wood shavings in their bedding and it was clear this was making him uncomfortable - sneezing etc. Could this be the problem?

Thats he thing he doesn't sneeze alot, the vet said it could be the hay? but he has to eat that.

He is on fleece so no woodshavings but I did use them in his itter tray recently then changed to carefresh.

I am relieved but received a bit disappointing news, I was told Patch was around 2 when I rescued him but the vet says he is older..:(

And thinking about it his coat is alot duller than his friend and he has a grey streak down hs fur so he could be much older. His friend is around 2 and does look alot younger, so will be on his own when patch does go to rainbow bridge:(

There have been cases of piggies being allergic to certain types of hay. If you suspect this, you might try changing their feed hay to a different type/brand etc.

It could be the shavings in their litter tray but I doubt it, sounds like it wasn't there very long and you've got rid of it now.

As for Patch, I'm sorry to hear about that but you never know, some piggies cna just go on for years and years. Especially with caring and concerned owners like you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back