• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Uri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone my bailey has got uri and been on baytril on a number of occasions but for some reason the uri seems to return be fore christmas my vet put bailey on baytril yet again also vitamin c as well but clearly baytril is not working as he constantly wheezing he still eating etc and still causing bedlam like he does but I very worried for my gorgeous boy could anyone tell me what else it could be and why it not clearing he having an X-ray at vets this coming Friday and a swab I worried it ganna be bad news

I am very sorry! It could be also due to a different bug that is not responsive to baytril or - as he's had baytril regularly - a resistancy. There are still stronger antibiotics like zithromax (azithromycin) that your vet could try. It would be good if your vet also prescribed a diuretic if the lungs are filled with fluid.
It is good that he is getting a scan to see whether there is a fluid build-up in the chest, ideally conscious or with only a small whiff of gas. Recurring URIs and a fluid build-up can also be a sign of heart problems.

You could you try help ease the breathing by placing a bowl with steaming water and 2-3 drops of olbas oil next to the cage. Do not use vicks; that is harmful to guinea pigs. Weigh him daily at the same time to keep an eye on his food intake; the differenece between a full/empty bladder and tummy is 30g.

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed for Bailey!

Thank you iv got my fingers crossed too he the only one out of my six piggies that has had this it does not seem to bother bailey but sometimes it wakes me up and I panic where the wheezing is loud it very hard to explain the sound but it seems to come and go he can go two or three weeks and no strange sounds just does not make sense vet did say it is a bacteria thing but he needs now o know what bacteria he dealing with still a worry though I be a bag of nerves on Friday they want him all day

Hopefully the swab will show which bacteria is causing the issue they can then target the antibiotic to it. Nice to see you again Toni. Love to Bailey x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back