• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URI

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So as if having one poorly pig wasn’t enough, I think Reggie has a URI 😩 he was snuffly last night and I have come home to feed Chunk just now and he has runny eyes and is rattly/raspy. I will try and make an appointment at the vets tonight. Last night I gave him loxicom and baytril, can they give anything else?

I wouldn't start giving him antibiotics until he has seen a vet.
If you start giving Baytril and the vet decides to go with a different medication it could cause problems.

Good luck and I hope you get an appointment soon - URI's can be nasty.
Big hugs for your boys (and you).

So as if having one poorly pig wasn’t enough, I think Reggie has a URI 😩 he was snuffly last night and I have come home to feed Chunk just now and he has runny eyes and is rattly/raspy. I will try and make an appointment at the vets tonight. Last night I gave him loxicom and baytril, can they give anything else?

All the best for having him seen promptly. Please do not treat on spec. The antibiotic can depend on the severity of the symptoms during the examination.

It sadly never rains but pours when it comes to piggies in my experience. :(

I forgot to give him anything this morning (too carried away syringe feeding Chunk at 5am!) so hopefully if they give different meds it shouldn’t interfere 🤞🏻 I just flapped last night 😩 fingers crossed I’ve caught it in time and they can treat it, I’m sure Reggie was upset at the lack of attention 😂🙄

Managed to see the vet after work and she agrees after listening to his airways, lungs are fine, it’s upper. So he’s been given baytril for a week and go from there. Never a dull moment in our household! Time to go and sort out my horses and fetch the dogs!

Just given him his second dose of baytril along with his usual loxicom. This morning and this afternoon he seemed to be ok, just a little snuffly. But now he is really raspy, it always seems to get worse when he is tired. Is there anything else I can do to help him? He is bright and happy in himself, eating pretty much as normal. I just hate hearing him all raspy 😢

On day three of baytril and Reggie is still quite raspy. It does come and go throughout the day, I just hate seeing him struggle when he is all snuffly. He is bright, active and hasn’t dropped any weight. My husband has a nebuliser for his asthma, could I give that a try? (Not sure what they best way to use it for a piggie!)

Reggie was really quite raspy this morning, would it be a good idea to have him in the bathroom with me whilst I shower to try and get the steam to help him?

Baytril really isn’t the best for dealing with URI’s. Simon tends to use Karidox (doxycycline). He also uses Sulfatrim and Zithromax. Marbocyl is another good one too x

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to take him to Northampton so took him to my normal vets in town and they are ok but just a general vet. Would it be worth speaking to them and saying that he doesn’t seem to be improving and if I could have one of the above antibiotics? Or should I run the weeks course (two more days) and then ask?

I worry about waiting as they can deteriorate so quickly. Maybe speak to them. They may be willing to go for Sulfatrim, even if not willing to consider the others.

The receptionist has left a message for the vet I saw on Wednesday to call me as soon as she can. He is currently holding his weight (have been weighing him daily) but like you say, I don’t really want to risk waiting and him getting worse 😔 hopefully they can let me have something else.

The receptionist has left a message for the vet I saw on Wednesday to call me as soon as she can. He is currently holding his weight (have been weighing him daily) but like you say, I don’t really want to risk waiting and him getting worse 😔 hopefully they can let me have something else.
I’d have liked to have seen some improvement by now. Did they say the lungs were clear? Sometimes they need a diuretic too, but if it’s definitely upper respiratory, then it’s probably not needed xx

I’d have liked to have seen some improvement by now. Did they say the lungs were clear? Sometimes they need a diuretic too, but if it’s definitely upper respiratory, then it’s probably not needed xx

She had a listen to lungs, chest, neck/throat and she said she couldn’t hear anything lower down, it was all higher up. To me it all sounds like his coming from his nose/throat area, if it was us it’s like he needs a good cough/sneeze to clear it. I’ve just come home to check in them and he is nowhere near as rattly but this morning he was terrible, it seems to come and go, seems worse in the evenings/when he is settling down to sleep xx

There’s no harm in trying. I hope both your boys feel better soon xx

Thank you, they are worrying me to death at the minute! Chunk is eating more and more by himself so that’s a positive! Xx

I’ve managed to get in at the vets tomorrow after work, they would like to recheck him. I am going to ask about different antibiotics as baytril clearly isn’t working. Will try and get him some steam in the bathroom tonight and keep an eye on him ☺️

Back