• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URI

Lisa71

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 29, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
45
Hi, me again, so unfortunately our little guinea pig took a turn for the worse yesterday, she went back to the vets and they admitted her. She had oxygen support initially, iv fluids, antibiotics and diuretics. She was coping without oxygen last night but still hadn’t eaten and they felt it was touch and go. They phoned this morning to say she was still with us, and has eaten a little, but her breathing is worse again. They’ve given her some more diuretics but said if she doesn’t start responding in the next hour it might be kinder to let her go as her body is too young and little to fight the infection.
She’s calling me back in an hour to make the decision... does anyone have any opinions or advice?
 

Lisa71

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 29, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
45
Thank you, I’m sure their advice is right I just want to make sure I’m making the right decision for her
 

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
7,092
Reaction score
23,249
Points
1,975
Location
Liverpool
I'm so sorry to hear this, if she is needing diuretics it might suggest that she has fluid on her lungs because her heart is struggling to work properly, and if she is needing intensive care at the vets and isnt responding to treatment then sadly it may be time to make a tough decision x
 

Lisa71

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 29, 2020
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Points
45
Thank you, being a bit inexperienced with guinea pigs it eases my mind a bit to hear you say that. Never an easy decision. The vet feels that this infection may have been lingering from an eye infection she had before she came to us (about 6 weeks ago), she came a week later as she was on antibiotics and hasn’t grown as fast as her ‘sister’ so I guess she maybe right. Thank you for your advice on this page, we still have the other two so I’m sure I’ll be back for advice soon!
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
72,215
Reaction score
45,219
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Hi, me again, so unfortunately our little guinea pig took a turn for the worse yesterday, she went back to the vets and they admitted her. She had oxygen support initially, iv fluids, antibiotics and diuretics. She was coping without oxygen last night but still hadn’t eaten and they felt it was touch and go. They phoned this morning to say she was still with us, and has eaten a little, but her breathing is worse again. They’ve given her some more diuretics but said if she doesn’t start responding in the next hour it might be kinder to let her go as her body is too young and little to fight the infection.
She’s calling me back in an hour to make the decision... does anyone have any opinions or advice?
BIG HUGS

I am so sorry that things have taken a turn for the worst. It sounds like she is getting all possible support, so if that is not enough, then please consider letting her go peacefully. Sadly veterinary care can do only so much; when the chips are down, guinea pigs are small animals with small fragile bodies but a huge personality. You are doing all you can and should do, so please don't feel like you are failing your little one. Severe illness is very often out of our hands. :(

I am keeping my fingers firmy crossed that she can pull through, though. Are your vets support feeding?
 
Top