• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Urine Going All Over Coat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach_91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My gp is let out for free run about 2 -3 hours a day but he keeps weeing and then it soaks him all his coat and tummy is just covered in wee, I've bought some grooming wipes for gps to wipe him clean but he's still soaked and it smells is this normal for male gps (he is long haired btw)

He shouldn't be soaked in his own wee. I would think there must be something causing him some form of incontinence such as an infection which means he is going all the time or something which is causing him to sit in the same spot where he is weeing all the time

He's been to the vets an they said he is healthy and normal so don't now why he keeps weing on himself I'm gonna take him back in few weeks if he keeps doing it

Is your vet cavy savvy? What's their experience with guinea pigs? What did they test him for? Opinions and diagnoses can vary so greatly dependent on experience even within the same practice. I will only go see my savvy vet unless its an emergency and she's not available but I know at least one other member of the vet team will always say "treat for mites" as the first step regardless of what the symptoms are.

There is a vet locator on the top bar of the forum which will give forum recommended (tried and tested) vets that will hopefully have a practice nearby.

Is the hair around his rear end very long? If so you may want to invest in a pair of hair scissors, you could get some cheaply on ebay. Carefully trim his hair to just above floor length so it doesn't drag all over the place, and keep the hair right by his private parts nice and short. I wouldn't trim any hair near his face though. I find my long haired piggy's fur around his bottom can get a little bit wet if it's overdue for a trim.

Found some scissors here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5-Barbe...5df6414&pid=100034&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=310886181941

If this does not seem to be the problem, please see a cavy savvy vet as the others have said. :)

If my boys (Peru & Texel) have floor time downstairs where the floor is tiled, I find that they essentially act as a mop for all their wee due to their hair. If however there floor time is upstairs on carpet no issues. I just use fleece/mats for downstairs now. Not sure from your description whether this issue is only during his floor time or not?

Keeping the hair around the bum short is a must, but my boys hair is kept rather long with no issue of soiling.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon and your boy is fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back