• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urine Infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have a peruvian Guinea pig who has recently been slightly wet at her rear end regularly. She is fine in herself so am not sure whether it is normal for peruvians (due to amount of hair!). I have cut it back but still seems to be getting wet. Any suggestions?

Hi, I have a peruvian Guinea pig who has recently been slightly wet at her rear end regularly. She is fine in herself so am not sure whether it is normal for peruvians (due to amount of hair!). I have cut it back but still seems to be getting wet. Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome!

Please have your piggy checked by a vet. Increased urination can have several causes, but the most common is a urinary tract infection, which needs to be treated with an antibiotic. How old is your piggy? Older piggies can develop arthritis and not move around as much anymore or clean themselves up.

Please keep the hair at the bum end and around the genitals cut short, in order to prevent soiling and matting. Change the bedding frequently where your piggy is lying. Give her a regular bum bath with hand/elbow warm water to prevent urine scald. Make sure that you dry her well and keep her out of drafts while she does so. Is she an indoors or outdoors piggy?

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful in being able to tailor any advice and recommendations to what is really available and doable where you are, as well as taking your climate into account if you please added your country, state or or UK county to your details. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
We have got a piggy savvy UK vet locator on the top bar, but can provide a link for recommended vets in other countries, if wished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back