• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Using C&c In A Shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniedabannie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm considering moving my two boys into our shed because they keep me awake at night arguing and I'm worried they don't get enough exercise, but my bedroom is too small to give them any more space indoors, sadly.

The shed is very secure and we used to keep guineas in it when I was much younger no problem, so there's no worries there :)

They currently live in a Ferplast 100 Two-Tier cage, but I thought I could add a 2x3 C&C 'garden' for them for lots more extra space. I've asked my Dad about it and he supports giving them more space, but isn't sure about using C&C outside... so my question is, is it ok to do that? Will it be warm enough for them in the winter? There's obviously the ability to move them back inside during the really really cold months in their cage cage, but if at all possible it would be good if the shed could become their permanent home :)

Any advice on this at all would be really welcome, thank you x

A 2x3 C&C cage is pretty small for two boys. If you can use the shed, why not give them the whole floor space of the shed?

I have my boars in 2x5's 2 to each.. well I say that... one of them has a 2x5 to himself because he fell out with his cage mate, so the other is in a cage until we build him a 2x3 (temp until we get him neutered and try him with the sows). Boar's need a grid bigger than girls too (this is what I've read).

A C&C cage would be fine in a VERY SECURE shed, but not really for winter, unless the shed was insulated and heated.

I have to be honest, as this weather is at the moment, I think a shed wouldn't be ideal because I've found mine is hotter than inside the house. :(

If you have electricity and can run fans down there in this weather to make it cool then its fine. Or make it secure enough so you could have say a paddock opening style door and put mesh at the top so nothing can jump in then leave the top bit of the paddock door open so air can get in.

I went and sat in it for a bit today after I measured to check that everything would fit (it would, just.) and it was like a sauna! There's no way it would be ok in summer or winter, so I guess they're going to have to carry on in their current cage :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for making them a kind of piggy 'garden' with very limited space in my bedroom, just to add a bit more room? I'll upload some pictures of what I'm working with shortly.... x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back