Using hair clippers on coronet piggy

moodysuzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our Edgar is a long-haired pig. Probably a coronet or some mongrel that looks like one. His hair is very long and very thick.

We trim his butt in a tube with scissors, but he hates scissors with an absolute passion. If we try to trim him anywhere except in the tube he screams at us, kicks, pees, the whole shebang. It’s too dangerous for him for us to continue, I worry about poking him.

Now it’s getting warmer we want to try clippers on him. I bought some dog clippers yesterday.

I’m a woman and never used hair clippers before, will they work on hair as long as his? Do I just go with the grain of the hair? We can’t go against the grain, he hates his hair being pulled.

I guess my second question is, is it the end of the world if we can’t get his hair cut for summer?

He is an absolute drama queen! I’ve attached a pic of his luscious locks for consideration.B4BB5FA0-99B9-4C12-855E-7FA1E5147871.jpeg72B6A7BB-58CC-4D3A-BE47-8A8D44A779ED.jpeg

AndreaFryer

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve no proper advice. He’s lovely though. Shame you can’t use some thinning scissors on him that feather your hair.
Look forward to the before and after pictures.

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I go with the grain of the hair but make sure you’ve brushed/combed him first as any knots will make him kick off. Mine hate the scissors too, but don’t mind the clippers for some reason.

moodysuzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I go with the grain of the hair but make sure you’ve brushed/combed him first as any knots will make him kick off. Mine hate the scissors too, but don’t mind the clippers for some reason.
That’s helpful, thanks! We are also hoping he tolerate clippers better, maybe he’ll think he’s just being stroked? 😬

KathT

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh and I use the comb that attaches to the clippers as well - I think it’s the 12mm one.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The guide that @Siikibam has linked in for you has a section on giving a long haired piggy a haircut with clippers. I wrote the guide and the Ever Beautiful Betsy (also a luscious long haired Coronet piggy) was the model.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The guide that @Siikibam has linked in for you has a section on giving a long haired piggy a haircut with clippers. I wrote the guide and the Ever Beautiful Betsy (also a luscious long haired Coronet piggy) was the model.
Can I send Posh round to you, I’m not good with this hair cutting, Posh looks a bit of a mess on one side now! I’ll have to practice on OH 😂🤣😂

Cs071085

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Our Edgar is a long-haired pig. Probably a coronet or some mongrel that looks like one. His hair is very long and very thick.

We trim his butt in a tube with scissors, but he hates scissors with an absolute passion. If we try to trim him anywhere except in the tube he screams at us, kicks, pees, the whole shebang. It’s too dangerous for him for us to continue, I worry about poking him.

Now it’s getting warmer we want to try clippers on him. I bought some dog clippers yesterday.

I’m a woman and never used hair clippers before, will they work on hair as long as his? Do I just go with the grain of the hair? We can’t go against the grain, he hates his hair being pulled.

I guess my second question is, is it the end of the world if we can’t get his hair cut for summer?

He is an absolute drama queen! I’ve attached a pic of his luscious locks for consideration.
What a beautiful boy 🥰, I haven’t any advice on trimming as one girls doesn’t even like being brushed she squeaks & is such a little drama queen lol. The scissors are to dangerous for us also but she hates the clippers as soon as she hears them she squeaks & you can’t realky get near her. She flinches a lot & it’s a worry. Hope you manage to trim your gorgeous boy x

moodysuzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Betsy is absolutely gorgeous! I just hope Edgar is as calm and well-behaved...

moodysuzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately Edgar won’t tolerate the clippers. We got some hair off him but he spent the entire time absolutely frantic trying to escape. Me and my partner are absolutely covered in scratches (and pee...) and the fusspot is back home with most of his coat intact.

We’re going to try again in a few days but I have low expectations.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately Edgar won’t tolerate the clippers. We got some hair off him but he spent the entire time absolutely frantic trying to escape. Me and my partner are absolutely covered in scratches (and pee...) and the fusspot is back home with most of his coat intact.

We’re going to try again in a few days but I have low expectations.
That's what Betsy was like first of all. Try the piggy whispering techniques in this guide Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips.

moodysuzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Jamjarpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you think there's any chance this might help? If hes okay to be brushed you might be able to trick him enough to thin him out a bit!