• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Using Vetbed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cute_Guineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

I was planning on using Megazorb and hay as my future piggies' flooring for their cage, however the ongoing cost of that was too high, so I'm now planning on using vetbed. I would love to hear about people's experiences with it. I also plan to put newspaper at one end of the cage with hay on top, so that they can still forage around naturally. :)

I used fleece previously and found it really did stink, so after hearing some positive reviews I decided to give it a go. I have only being using it 5 days and already I find it so much better. I have however been spotchecking twice daily.

Although haven't yet needed to wash it, which is amazing going to do a full clean tomorrow. I used a horse bag to wash my fleece and will do the same with the VetBed I have been advised to give it a good brush after I bring it out the cage, and then again after I bring it out the washing machine.

Will let you know how I get on, but so far its a winner for me!

@flintstones, do you use anything underneath the vetbed to absorb the urine?
I now use fleece with puppy pads underneath, but as you say, the fleece get quite stinky.

I used fleece briefly but found it smelt quickly and got too dirty and I didn't like putting it in the washing machine.

But I also used some vet bed for their sleeping area, and I found that really handy. It stayed dry, and you can just pick it up and shake it off easily. It's definitely worth a try!

My dogs have vet bed in their kennel outside and they pulled it out of their shed and left it out in the rain and then pooped on it rolleyes so I powerwashed it! :)) which worked really well (then I washed it in the washing machine)

Newspaper under the vet bed would be fine if you change the newspaper enough :)

I've used it on and off. I like it and it washes well and dries quickly. The main problem I had with it was that the hay and poop really sticks to it - but it can be brushed off.... It doesnt stick to fleece as much.

I also use the horse bags for washing fleece / vet bed.

I do still use some vetbed but I put fleece on top ..... which helps with the brushing / sticking bits....

xx

I love vetbed been using it for a month now :)) I have three spare sets of vetbed so i can change, wash and whilst ones in the wash i can put down some fresh.

I just put newspaper undneath mine and i change it everyday, the boys love it! It does need a bat with dust pan before sticking it in the wash and hay and hair seems to stick to it well! i found it dries quickly in the drier too.

The only problem i have with it, when poop sticks to it the boys sometimes stand on the poop and it becomes embedded into the vetbed so needs to be pulled out before sticking it into the wash. But it cuts down on costs, cleaning time, and i dont use as much hay now! So 10/10 for me :)

I love vet bed, I use fleece with towels to line the cage but found they tended to go to the toilet the most in their hideys and I didn't like the thought of them lying in dampness, so I thought I'd try vet bed for under their hideys and it is great! It stays really dry and is lovely and warm for them too.
Once I get the money I will get vet bed to completely line their play area because it is so easy to use and clean, and they love it too! It's worth every penny! I got mine from a seller on ebay, just 50 by 76 cm to try and it was only around £3.50 so maybe you could do that to see if you like it first x

I started with newspaper with hay on top (got too wet), then vetbed (expensive if you have a decent size to cover and difficult to get the hay off), then went to fleece with newpaper and towels underneath (too much washing and smelt quickly), now they have fitted fleeces which have washable incontinence pads sewn in which is so easy to change as its only one piece. I find they can go a good 5 days on it before I notice any smell at all. In the cold weather I gave them a piece of the vetbed to sit on in the area they tend to sleep which they love, so their most used area has double protection!

I would say that vetbed is harder to brush the hay off, fleece is harder to brush the hairs off of so its personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back