• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

UTI / Kidneys / Stroke / Bloat

Clare King

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m not expecting much advice but just wanted to write down my thoughts and know this will be an understanding place for me to write.
We collected our pigs from their holiday boarding establishment on Friday just gone and one of them is seemingly extremely poorly. I just want to clarify that at no point am I putting any blame on the boarding establishment, they did all that they could for her. We’d been away for 2 weeks and on the first Monday, she was wet underneath so they took her to their vet who diagnosed a uti and she was prescribed 0.5ml of baytril once a day and 0.22ml of feline metacam (also once a day). All seemed to be ok and they text me and said she was doing well and was no longer wet underneath.
When we arrived to collect on Friday, the lady said she was worried about Bella as she’d been very quiet the last few days and hadn’t been out and about the hutch much and they weren’t sure how much she’d been eating. She said that her eyes had seemed half closed esp in the mornings and she’d been giving her some syringe food too. She was also still on the baytril and metacam.
Bella did look very sad and sorry for herself when we saw and her coat was not shiny or smooth. All our other 7 pigs were absolutely fine and looked just as they did when we left them so again the boarding establishment have been great in caring for them. I must also clarify that Bella is a rescue pig and very very timid so her hiding away wouldn’t be a great surprise and I had warned the boarding establishment that she was very shy and quiet.
I took Bella to our vets when we got home and after an examination and X-ray then we found out she had a large amount of gas in her stomach and our vet said her stomach was completely empty and didn’t think she’d eaten for 24hrs ☹️.
We came away with metaclopramide, Zantac, dog metacam and more baytril and syringe food. We’ve been administering all these since Friday and feeding every 2-3hrs approx 10 mls at each feed but we’re just not seeing much (if any) improvement. I went back to the vets yesterday to see if there was any improvement and there were some small gut sounds and she is doing some small and very irregular shaped poos.
As there currently aren’t any uti symptoms then we made the decision to stop the baytril in case that was affecting her appetite with the option to restart it or a different antibiotic if needed. Her teeth were also checked and there were no sensitive areas on her jaw and her teeth also looked ok. There was also evidence that she had been eating a small amount of hay.
So that leads us to today, we’re still on the metacam, metaclopramide and Zantac and syringe feeding with emeraid. Bella has shown very little interest in eating, she ate a tiny amount of romaine lettuce but otherwise isn’t wanting dry food or any hay. I’ve been and got some readigrass today and she had a small nibble this afternoon but no real interest. She has lost about 250g since we took her in for holiday boarding but has remained reasonably stable at around 1100g these last few days. We are due to return to the vets tomorrow afternoon and i just wondered if anyone else had had any ideas or experience of anything similar.
Bella is approx 4 1/2 and before this has always been fine and in the 18 months she has been with us has not had any issues. The weight loss is particularly noticeable across her back and haunches. She is sitting very still in the cage (she lives with her sister and a neutered boar) and not wanting to move on her own. She is interested in food and raises her head when she hears it being chopped but when I put it in the cage she sniffs at it but then turns away, it’s like she hasn’t the energy to bite. She is also very wobbly on her legs and bunny hops instead of walking normally, I’m not sure if this due to the muscle loss or something else. (I meant to say, no stones were found on the X-ray).
I apologise for such a long thread but I’m just at that horrible stage where I don’t want to give up on her if there might be hope but again I absolutely don’t want to keep her going if I’m being cruel as currently this doesn’t seem to be much of a life for a previously energetic pig. I will be absolutely guided by my vet too and as I said I’m not sure what I’m wanting from posting here but I think I just wanted to get all my thoughts written down. I’ve not had a pig with severe bloat before so I’m unsure of the recovery ‘timeline’ and if 4 days of meds to still not want to eat is normal or if there’s something else going on there like kidney failure or a stroke. Thank you for letting me write everything down and you’re incredible if you’ve read all this

I've read it and I'm not knowledgeable to give factual answer. weight is good but so many things this little piggie going through. Write down all questions you want to ask the vet and i and my girls send you lots love etc. x

Unfortunately the current emergency does appear to be extreme bloat, whether there are underlying problems like kidneys is difficult to tell and she’s probably not well enough for scans etc. I know most say bloat can be recovered from and perhaps they will be able to guide you better @Wiebke ?

I have lost a pig to bloat (by PTS) as it did not get any better at all and the suffering was too much. This also happened when I went on holiday for a few days and PTS 3 days after returning. I think it probably depends on how early it is caught for it to be reversible. So I’ve had a very bad experience with this but that by no means is meant to say there is no hope - I just want you to know that if you can’t reverse it, it isn’t your fault.

Hello all, I’m not expecting much advice but just wanted to write down my thoughts and know this will be an understanding place for me to write.
We collected our pigs from their holiday boarding establishment on Friday just gone and one of them is seemingly extremely poorly. I just want to clarify that at no point am I putting any blame on the boarding establishment, they did all that they could for her. We’d been away for 2 weeks and on the first Monday, she was wet underneath so they took her to their vet who diagnosed a uti and she was prescribed 0.5ml of baytril once a day and 0.22ml of feline metacam (also once a day). All seemed to be ok and they text me and said she was doing well and was no longer wet underneath.
When we arrived to collect on Friday, the lady said she was worried about Bella as she’d been very quiet the last few days and hadn’t been out and about the hutch much and they weren’t sure how much she’d been eating. She said that her eyes had seemed half closed esp in the mornings and she’d been giving her some syringe food too. She was also still on the baytril and metacam.
Bella did look very sad and sorry for herself when we saw and her coat was not shiny or smooth. All our other 7 pigs were absolutely fine and looked just as they did when we left them so again the boarding establishment have been great in caring for them. I must also clarify that Bella is a rescue pig and very very timid so her hiding away wouldn’t be a great surprise and I had warned the boarding establishment that she was very shy and quiet.
I took Bella to our vets when we got home and after an examination and X-ray then we found out she had a large amount of gas in her stomach and our vet said her stomach was completely empty and didn’t think she’d eaten for 24hrs ☹.
We came away with metaclopramide, Zantac, dog metacam and more baytril and syringe food. We’ve been administering all these since Friday and feeding every 2-3hrs approx 10 mls at each feed but we’re just not seeing much (if any) improvement. I went back to the vets yesterday to see if there was any improvement and there were some small gut sounds and she is doing some small and very irregular shaped poos.
As there currently aren’t any uti symptoms then we made the decision to stop the baytril in case that was affecting her appetite with the option to restart it or a different antibiotic if needed. Her teeth were also checked and there were no sensitive areas on her jaw and her teeth also looked ok. There was also evidence that she had been eating a small amount of hay.
So that leads us to today, we’re still on the metacam, metaclopramide and Zantac and syringe feeding with emeraid. Bella has shown very little interest in eating, she ate a tiny amount of romaine lettuce but otherwise isn’t wanting dry food or any hay. I’ve been and got some readigrass today and she had a small nibble this afternoon but no real interest. She has lost about 250g since we took her in for holiday boarding but has remained reasonably stable at around 1100g these last few days. We are due to return to the vets tomorrow afternoon and i just wondered if anyone else had had any ideas or experience of anything similar.
Bella is approx 4 1/2 and before this has always been fine and in the 18 months she has been with us has not had any issues. The weight loss is particularly noticeable across her back and haunches. She is sitting very still in the cage (she lives with her sister and a neutered boar) and not wanting to move on her own. She is interested in food and raises her head when she hears it being chopped but when I put it in the cage she sniffs at it but then turns away, it’s like she hasn’t the energy to bite. She is also very wobbly on her legs and bunny hops instead of walking normally, I’m not sure if this due to the muscle loss or something else. (I meant to say, no stones were found on the X-ray).
I apologise for such a long thread but I’m just at that horrible stage where I don’t want to give up on her if there might be hope but again I absolutely don’t want to keep her going if I’m being cruel as currently this doesn’t seem to be much of a life for a previously energetic pig. I will be absolutely guided by my vet too and as I said I’m not sure what I’m wanting from posting here but I think I just wanted to get all my thoughts written down. I’ve not had a pig with severe bloat before so I’m unsure of the recovery ‘timeline’ and if 4 days of meds to still not want to eat is normal or if there’s something else going on there like kidney failure or a stroke. Thank you for letting me write everything down and you’re incredible if you’ve read all this

Hi!

Unfortunately we can only guess at what is going on exactly. I would guess that bloating and GI stasis/not eating is a secondary problem.
Both UTI and baytril can cause can cause loss of appetite. The stress of being in a different place can unfortunately help to lower the immune system.

Please continue with the syringe feeding around the clock as your piggy is not eating on its own and with the gut stimulants to get the gut going and settled. Getting the gut going and getting on top of the bloating is your first aim, as either can kill. It is not necessarily a quick process.
Has your vet checked for a bladder stone? You can contact your vet and ask for another antibiotic like sulfatrim or septrin (UK)/bactrim (US). It is the same antibiotic and now officually licensed for guinea pigs under the brand name of sulfatrim in the UK.
Make sure that your piggy has also got plenty of painkiller/anti-inflammatory as well.

Please take the time to read these guides here with plenty of tips:
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Please be be patient and persist. Your piggy won't heal in just a few days.

Hello everyone, so sorry for my late reply. Thank you so much for all your thoughts, good wishes, experiences / knowledge and advice with this vile condition. It is very much appreciated and I shall ask about the other medications at our appointment tomorrow and in the meantime continue with the meds we have got and also syringe food and massaging too.
@Wiebke they checked the xrays from Friday and no stones can be seen on them so we don’t think she has one but should any UTI symptoms restart then we will restart antibiotics and go for Septrin instead. Bella is on 0.23ml of metacam twice a day too. Thank you for the advice to keep going too, that’s what I really wanted to know, I definitely don’t want to give up on her if bloat can take days to resolve.
@furryfriends (TEAS) thanks re the vetergesic info too, I wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea as I didn’t know if it could slow everything down again but if you’ve had success with it then that’s good to know. Chester had a big op in December and was on vetergesic for a week and I’m sure you will not be surprised to know it didn’t alter his mad cap personality one bit. Our vet couldn’t get over how lively he was when he came round.
Thank you all again, all your comments and wealth of knowledge and experiences are incredibly helpful.

Hello everyone, so sorry for my late reply. Thank you so much for all your thoughts, good wishes, experiences / knowledge and advice with this vile condition. It is very much appreciated and I shall ask about the other medications at our appointment tomorrow and in the meantime continue with the meds we have got and also syringe food and massaging too.
@Wiebke they checked the xrays from Friday and no stones can be seen on them so we don’t think she has one but should any UTI symptoms restart then we will restart antibiotics and go for Septrin instead. Bella is on 0.23ml of metacam twice a day too. Thank you for the advice to keep going too, that’s what I really wanted to know, I definitely don’t want to give up on her if bloat can take days to resolve.
@furryfriends (TEAS) thanks re the vetergesic info too, I wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea as I didn’t know if it could slow everything down again but if you’ve had success with it then that’s good to know. Chester had a big op in December and was on vetergesic for a week and I’m sure you will not be surprised to know it didn’t alter his mad cap personality one bit. Our vet couldn’t get over how lively he was when he came round.
Thank you all again, all your comments and wealth of knowledge and experiences are incredibly helpful.

Sorry to hear Chester has been poorly, but it sounds like he bounced back very quickly! I know both his brothers passed away, fairly recently

Great advice given already, Clare, so nothing much to add publicly except that it’s clear you are doing everything possible for Bella. Hang in there. Hugs xx

Sorry to hear Chester has been poorly, but it sounds like he bounced back very quickly! I know both his brothers passed away, fairly recently
He had a tough few months last year...he had either a liver infection or hepatitis so was on 6 months of baytril and milk thistle and then just as he was improving, he got a number of lumps on his tummy so we had all 9 😳 removed. Thankfully they all came back as fatty lumps and he recovered really well. He’s still on the milk thistle but his last blood results showed all levels were back to normal ranges and his weight is now stable.
I’m so sorry to hear about his brothers, that’s very sad to hear.

I hope Bella improves soon. You are doing all you can for her. It's encouraging that she is poohing and eating small amounts x

Hello all, thought I’d just write an update post vets appt. Kristina (vet) said she looks brighter (which was lovely to hear) and Bella has put on 80g since Monday. She had another X-ray and the gas has dramatically gone down and she now has a tummy and cecum with food in rather than gas which is a massive relief. Obviously we are still not in the clear zone yet but progress is definitely being made in clearing the gas.
The X-ray today has shown though that her lungs are looking rather ‘fluffy’ and there was a rattle today when they were listened to so we’re now thinking that she may have a Uri or even pneumonia so we are going to immediately restart the baytril twice a day. Her lungs were quite ‘squashed’ on the previous X-ray due to the gas pressing on them.
Bella is also booked in for another check up and a possible blood test on Friday morning (depending on how she is) to see if that will give us more detailed information.
So...a little bit of positivity which has been great after the past 5 days but I know we still have a long way to go. Thank you again for all your best wishes.

I just want to offer you sympathy. I too am in the same predicament as you, also the same time when we picked the piggies from boarding. But instead of bloat, my Cookie had a massive abscess in her neck (here's my thread Sick Piggy..again). She was also operated on by Kristina 2 weeks ago. But since last week, we've been going to see Simon since we needed him to check her teeth at the same time coz she's been reliant to syringe feeding. We are still being patient with her and will do everything as long as it takes and as long as she's fighting. The waiting game is just a pain in the bum!

Good luck with your Bella. Sending loads of hugs and kisses her way. ❤❤❤

Last edited:
Just a suggestion with regards to having blood test. If you can tell Kristina (in case she doesn't know it), the easiest way to get blood from piggies is to cut one of the nails short so it will draw blood. This is what Simon at Cat & Rabbit does so it isn't risky.

Back