• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

UTI test kits

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a home test kit for UTI in guinea pigs. If there is where is the best place to get one. Thanks Val

he has been to the vet who suggested she may do a UTI but that would entail him going in for half a day for the vet to test the urine. I thought it would be less stressful for him if I could do the test at home and take him to vet for treatment. I did ask the vet nurse if I could buy a test there but was told I would need the result chart to do it properly. So thought a home test would be best.

Testing for blood/protein in pee could potentially be done at home with a test strip, but testing for bacteria needs vet lab facilities. If piggy has pain while peeing you can pretty much conclude without a test strip that there will be blood and/or protein in the pee, but the vet tests can confirm bacteria and then the vet can prescribe the correct antibiotic. I'd stick with the vet really, they couldnt ever prescribe based on home diagnosis anyway and would have to repeat it themselves to confirm.

Back