• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vacuum Packed Hay = No Fingernails Left

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillybean

Who was the bright spark that invented this - someone who obviously didn't ever need to use it. Is there a knack? I usually buy big bags of 'loose' hay. It's great, good quality and EASY TO GET OUT OF THE BAG! However, husband came with me to the pet shop and thought the vacuum packed stuff was better value for money. It takes me ages to get about 3 pieces of hay out, got a good mind just to cut the plastic off & put the whole thing on the floor - let the girls take it apart themselves!

I know exactly what you mean. I ended up splitting my bag all the way down and filling up black bin liners with the hay that came out. Problem was it was then over about 4 bin liners rather than one bag.... I broke nails, cut my hand and nearly lost a ring trying to get hay out of the vaccuum packed bag. It was good value for money but I won't be buying it again because it took me twenty minutes just to get out enough hay for one bedding area!

Oh blimey...yes, I have trouble with those type of bags too. I much prefer the contents to be loose as I struggle so much. >:(

I cut the vacuum packed bags and put the hay into a big shavings bag. One good thing about this hay is that it always seems to be very clean and dust free. At one time I bought hay in bales from farmers, but I got fed up with getting dusty stuff and having to chuck it in the bin.

I love the barn dried, dust extracted hay you can buy in packs, either vacuum packed or otherwise, and now I have only 8 pigs it is feasible for me to be able to buy it like this.

I have the same problem, I feel all my nails bending back as I'm pulling out small chunks of hay :(.

I find if you stamp on the thin side a bit to loosen it up and then grab clumps from the middle of the bag its a bit easier.....though in the past I have taken it all out of the bag, split it in half and put one half back in the back and one half gets distributed around the hutch.

I'll stick to my meadow hay from Farmer Mick its sweet and fresh and the odd occasional dead mouse or prickle is easily dealt with,

That is when I'm glad that we get it from a wholesalers and it picked from the bales they have there when you are there quite often :)

I buy vacuum packed hay and struggled with it - but now its easier, I buy the one that is already chopped into little bits.

when they were long strands of hay so tightly pressed together there was no chance getting it out - the cut up stuff is alot easier.

I can see the reasoning behind the fork ... but not the spoon! Good idea to empty it into a separate black bag, think I'll try that & give it a good shake. It's driving me mad!

Jillybean said:
I can see the reasoning behind the fork ... but not the spoon! Good idea to empty it into a separate black bag, think I'll try that & give it a good shake. It's driving me mad!

I meant the spoon as a fork substitute, the fork being the optimum hay poking device.
I really am not as strange as I sound honest ;)

When I buy the big bales of Readigrass I find a hoof pick is helpful in unpacking it.

:) I will dig out my old hoof pick! Any other useful tips for putting a grooming kit to use?

I hate all the vacum packed stuff but abby loves it she finds it dead easy to do! i get frustrated and storm off! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back