• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

vasaline to stop pigs biting bars etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is it true using vasaline * not sure on spelling* stops the piggies biting bars? Cos mine are driving me wild with their bar nibbling.

I've heard that. I tried it out the other day because Archie was chewing the bars of his cage and, miraculously, he stopped after I put it on. I don't know if this works for all piggies though, as it looked like Lexi was licking it :))

I tried it and it worked for Frazzle, but then he only does it when he wants attention. Do your piggies get time in a run/floor time? Because it can be a sign of boredom too or if they can smell another piggy they want to see/say hello to.. Other reasons too but may be better to get to the root of the problem as vaseline makes the bars sticky :(

I'm pretty sure he isn't bored. Iv had to separate my boys up so theres only a wire mesh fence separating them. Theyre all well and truly hitting hormonal stage. So it was 3 in one cage and 1 in another. But then the younger pig in the 3 was getting bothered by one of the other pigs so i tried him again with pig on his own and they got on wierdly this time round. But the pig that's biting the bars is the very dominant pig who doesn't like other pigs acting dominant. So he's wanting to get into the other cage to sort it out. Can't wait for their new cages to be built.

Well tried the vasaline on the bars and it didn't work with my gizmo and now the silly boy has chipped his little tooth =( so next question what should i do about that? he's eating drinking chewing wood fine so is there a raise of concern?

i should use that as when i put them in their basket if i take them to there run or out of my room and they bite the bars of the door, i know it is proberly because the basket is not very bit but i dont feel safe carying them down the stairs, is it safe if they decide it taste nice?

Yeah i think its pretty safe. Think people would have said for me not to try it if not. Hope it works for you. You could put a sheet over the basket when you carry them. They might be scared being at height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back