• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vedra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello again

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Vedra to answer texts. I sent one this morning but haven't heard anything. I know she's very busy and can't always respond straight away but I wonder if she has received it and certainly don't want to be a pest and send it again. I've got an appointment with my vet tomorrow with Amber - my piggy with heart failure and I want to be able to discuss heart medication with him. She's only been given a diuretic so far.
Many thanks xx

guineaboys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know she's very busy and sees a lot of piggies in the evening, sometimes she doesn't get back to you until quite late in the evening! I'm sure Laura would know !

Reaction score
Thanks - I know she's very busy so maybe if I don't hear from her by the morning I'll give her a ring before I go to the vet.
Xx

fayejones

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I sent her a text when i needed her and she replied about an hour later telling me when to phone her but when i called she was saying she had had lots of calls that night so yeah perhaps she is quite busy. If its an emergency i would call her :)
x

Reaction score
Hi Debedee

Thanks for posting. My piggie Amber was diagnosed this week and was given an injection of diuretic and we've had some to give her orally twice a day. She's picked up a lot and her colour is now a nice pink. The vet I saw said that we would try the diuretic but if she was no better then she would need to be put to sleep, she also said she thought she would probably die on the way home so I don't have much faith in her. I'll be taking her for a check up tomorrow and want to stand my corner and tell them what drugs can be used.
What drugs are your piggie on and how is s/he doing? Any help or advice gratefully received 
Many thanks xx

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Pigmie,

Vedra has quite a battle with texts, she does need specifics before she can reply - as long as you include your surname and membership number at the beginning of the text, and be as detailed as you can (or, if there's a lot to say, ask her for a time you can call), she is much more likely to reply.

Info re heart pigs, I have written a fair bit about them in recent months, you may find this post the most useful:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=863694&postcount=28

I also have one sow who has been on heart meds for 7 months but has recently progressed further into CHF (congestive heart failure), we are due to start a third medication; her thread is here:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44881

She is on benazepril (Fortekor/Lotensin), 1mg 2x daily, and is also on furosemide (Lasix - a diuretic) which is usually 5mg 2x daily. She is on a higher dose at the moment though due to the progression of her illness, but I am hoping to reduce it once she starts her pimobendan (Vetmedin).

Debedee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, I just lost my piggie Teddy last thursday :(

He was diagnosed with dilated cardio-myopathy. Teddy had quite a bit of fluid in his chest also. I had Teddy on Frusol(frusemide) liquid 0.5mls 3 times a day, he was also on Fortekor(benazepril) once daily.I also gave him Vetmedin (pimobendan) twice daily- a quarter of a 1.25mg tablet.

Teddy was quite old anyway but he managed ok, eating well and was quite happy for 3 weeks on his medication until I sadly lost him.

Don't let your vet give up on your piggie xx

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Laura - I did manage to speak to Vedra this morning and she gave me lots of advice.
Thanks so much to you and Debedee for info on the meds you use, that will be very helpful when I go to the vet. I received a call this morning from the surgery as the vet I wanted to see wasn't in today after all, so I'll be going tomorrow instead. I want to see this particular one as Vedra knows of him and a local rodentologist uses him.
Debedee - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Teddy. He was lucky to have a mummy that loved him as much as you obviously did, I hope your happy memories take the place of your sadness soon.
Thanks again for all your help - I'll let you know how Amber gets on.
Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.