Veg/fruit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyNoo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've had my guineas for just over a week now, and I'm wondering how much fresh veg I ought to be giving them? I've got 2 boys, and they're around 2 months old, I've been putting a ramekin-sized dish of veg/fruit in every day, which they're emptying, I'm wondering if I should be giving them more? But I don't want to overdo it either.

Also, how do I tell if they're both getting equal share, and therefore getting as much each as they need? They're still SO shy, they're not eating when I'm around, so I have no idea who's eating what!

Thanks in advance :)

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i give my boys 1-2 lettuce leaves and a chunk of cucumber each in a morning, and in the evening a mix of 3 of the following for each pig: slice of pepper, chunk of cucumber, half stick of celery, broccoli spear

if you need to check they are both getting some, either watch them if you can or try to seperate whilst they are eating?

Reaction score
NOT APPLE! Apple can cause fungal infections and although it does not effect all guinea pigs the only way to find out if it does effect your guinea pigs is for them to get infected.

The first food mine ate was carrot and it helped to make Hazel put on weight as she was underweight on arrival. But carrot is like chocolate to guinea pigs so it is best in moderation. Brocollie is also best in moderation

Red and green pepper is liked by most guinea pigs and cucumber is also very good.

Tomatos can be eaten without the seeds and stalks, however, I would avoid them as they are acidic. Also, avoid pineapple, mango and oranges for the same reason.

With fruit and vedgetables, as a thumb nail rule, I would say that the more basic they are then the better they are. Also, if you have any doubts, don't give it to them untill you have found out for certain that it is.

Gracie01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My group piggies have their fruit and veg cut up and scattered. It makes them work for their food, and allows the less dominant piggies a chance to get to the food.

I give them a selection twice a day. E.g. Carrot and kurley kale in the morning, and in the evening cucumber, brocholi, and greens.

I tend to avoid too many fruits. But find bananas, strawberry and kiwi excellent tempters when I have a poorly piggy.

Not all piggies eat the same foods. I have two that don't eat brocholi, and one that doesnt leat greens. So I have to juggle with the food sometimes to make sure they all get some veg.

I think the best way to make sure they are all getting what they need, is handle and weigh them regularly.

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As a guide a guinea pig needs a good teacup ful of fruit/veggies per day. This can be given as one serving but better in two. I usually give 3 different things in a morning and the same at night. Provided foods are given in moderation, and a good variety your pigs will be fine. My mixtures consist of: Carrots, green beans, broccoli, spring greens, lettuce mostly romaine (not iceberg) celery, bell peppers, peas in pods, mange tout, sweetcorn including the silks, baby corn, raddish, beetroot, cauli and cauli leaves, kale, strawberries, apple, pear, banana, tomato, nectarine, cucumber, melon inc. rind, and I have probably forgot stuff. I am particularly careful with fruit, not giving too much to avoid giving them the runs. Mine love apple, they get to know the noise of me crunching and queue up for the core. Apples have been sometimes thought to cause problems around the mouth in some piggies but none of mine have ever been affected, same goes for tomatoes, so moderation is the key xx

Reaction score
When I had my babbies, they where rally shy at first. I found a good way to make them more confident around me, was to hand feed them =) It takes more time, but is worth it, it really made my boys come out of their shells more :D

Reaction score
mine get spring greens, spinach, lttuce,tomatoe,cucumber,celery,parsley (not every day)

Every now and then i give them a bit of apple, brocli,peppers etc for a bit of variety

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.