1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veg Questions, Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Food' started by Hank288, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

1. Hank288

Forum Donator 2015/16

I thought it was safe to give romaine lettuce everyday. I have however read somewhere that it is quite high in calcium. I am now worried as they have all had romaine lettuce everyday for the last week.

Is it safe everyday or not?

Other question, is I cut my veg up everyday into small bite sized squares so it is easier for them to eat. Is this ok for them or would I be better leaving it bigger? Just worried if they need larger pieces to wear teeth down?
    Thanks

2. Claire W

Forum Donator 2016/17

I too am interested in your question.

I used to feed my piggies cos lettuce daily but was then advised it isn't good for them so they now only have it a few times a week.

I also hear conflicting evidence against Romaine. Some say it is the 'safer' lettuce for guinea pigs where as others say its 'the worst'

3. Lorcan

Lorcan Junior Guinea Pig

Well, it can't be worse than iceberg lettuce, right?

I gave romaine for the last 3 days, but that's because once it gets opened it loses its colour very quickly and the boys won't eat it if it isn't a deep enough green. I mean I'm sure it's more scientific than that, but that's what it comes down to. I rarely buy romaine anyway, I usually stick to lambs lettuce. But everything in moderation, right? The boys love their leaves, so I try to vary it as much as possible without overdoing it on one thing or another.

4. SqueakyCavy

SqueakyCavy Junior Guinea Pig

Romaine lettuce is safe for piggies (I think) I believe you are confusing calcium content with water content. Iceberg lettuce is the one you shouldn't feed to your piggies due to its high water content which can upset their tummys. Romaine lettuce shouldn't cause your pigs any harm but if your concerned limit the amount you give them. There is a thread on here all about what veggies are safe to feed your pigs (including the calcium and water contents within them) As for cubes or bigger chunks, I feed mine bigger bits of food purely so they have to work a bit more for it, but it's your decision either is fine. Despite you have been feeding romaine lettuce for a week, your pigs will be completely fine, any extra calcium will be deposited through their wee giving it a slightly milky look but it's nothing to worry about.

5. GPcrazy

GPcrazy Teenage Guinea Pig

I think romaine lettuce does have a slightly higher calcium content than other lettuces, but it only becomes a problem if your piggy is prone to bladder stones. Also, if you happen to notice sludge in their wee then rather cut down on the frequency you give romaine lettuce. A bit of chalky residue is just the calcium being excreted, but if it gets very gritty and like sludge then there's too much calcium in their diet.

I prefer to give big pieces of food. I feel it's a good boredom buster making them chew it down. It's also more natural as you would never find neatly cut up food in the wild. I don't think veg does much for wearing their teeth down anyway though, that's more down to eating hay which is why unlimited hay is so important.

Hank288 likes this.
  6. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

I gave my piggies little pieces, then I thought that there's no one to chop it in the wild. So now I just give them whole pieces. I'll start scattering there food once my neutered boar settles in.

7. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Teenage Guinea Pig

Romaine lettuce is fine as far as I'm aware. If you stick it in water in the fridge it lasts longer too @Lorcan my girls won't eat it if it's too old either without this trick of keeping it healthier longer.

With any veg it's better to feed a variety instead of the same veg/fruit every day. Mix it up with a bit of cabbage or spring greens and maybe try some Little Gem lettuce or Chinese leaf.

Just keep an eye on their poos and wees, if the poos are a bit moist then cut back on the wet foods like lettuce or cucumber for a few days and if the wee is quite white then that shows there's too much calcium so hold off on the dark green veg like cabbage.

Just mix it up with various different foods and I'm sure you'll be fine, but no potato, onions or iceberg. There are a lot of veg threads you can look through to get an idea of what to try and what's safe too :tu:

8. Cavy Kung-Fu

Cavy Kung-Fu Teenage Guinea Pig

Oh and regarding cutting it up I don't think it matters, as long as seeds are removed, because they should wear their teeth down on hay as it's 80% of their diet. Celery has to be chopped thinly however as the long fibrous strands can be a choking hazard.