• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vegetables?

kamjay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to having a guinea pig and as to this forum so hello everybody. Anyways, I am going to adopt 2 male guinea pigs and I have everything sorted out and did all my research so I think I got the hang of it. Now my question is and this is the only part where I am having a problem... I know I need to feed them a variety of different vegetables everyday and that it should be equivalent to 1 cup per guinea pig. I want to know what vegetables should I start with because I heard that some guinea pig's stomach's might not do good on certain vegetables... so I should slowly introduce vegetables. What vegetables should i feed them at first?

-Thank You Guys.

Coriander is a good source of vitamin c. You can also try lettuce (not iceberg), bell pepper and cucumber. You can ask what veg they’ve also been eating and see which they may like.

Pellets should be kept to a tablespoon per day for each piggy.

Will they be in/outdoor piggies? We’ll wait eagerly for photos once they’re settled in 😁

Hello kamjay and welcome to the forum ! I bet you are very excited 😊 have your guinea pigs been bonded as you’re adoptping them?
It is great to do some research and it gives you reassurance.
there is a great guide here for guinea pigs diet. I would introduce the different types of veg slowly as some can cause tummy upsets. Bell pepper, coriander , lettuce & cucumber are great start off veg as Siikibam said. If you put them on grass very slowly introduce that - maybe 10 mins at first and slowly increasing it. You can give them fresh grass( but never lawn mowings as these are dangerous)
will be great to hear all about them and see some pics 😊

My boys absolutely love romaine lettuce, bell peppers and kale. As kale can be a bit...meh for the guinea pigs, I rwccomend introducing it slowly in small amounts. But once the pigs are used to kale, you can feed it pretty much daily!

My boys absolutely love romaine lettuce, bell peppers and kale. As kale can be a bit...meh for the guinea pigs, I rwccomend introducing it slowly in small amounts. But once the pigs are used to kale, you can feed it pretty much daily!
Kale is high in calcium, along with spinach and parsley, so should be kept to only one of these being fed just once a week :)

Hello, I am new to having a guinea pig and as to this forum so hello everybody. Anyways, I am going to adopt 2 male guinea pigs and I have everything sorted out and did all my research so I think I got the hang of it. Now my question is and this is the only part where I am having a problem... I know I need to feed them a variety of different vegetables everyday and that it should be equivalent to 1 cup per guinea pig. I want to know what vegetables should I start with because I heard that some guinea pig's stomach's might not do good on certain vegetables... so I should slowly introduce vegetables. What vegetables should i feed them at first?

-Thank You Guys.
You can find a feeding guide here.

Coriander is a good source of vitamin c. You can also try lettuce (not iceberg), bell pepper and cucumber. You can ask what veg they’ve also been eating and see which they may like.

Pellets should be kept to a tablespoon per day for each piggy.

Will they be in/outdoor piggies? We’ll wait eagerly for photos once they’re settled in 😁
I thought pellets should be about 1/8 of a cup and they will be indoor piggies :)

No. The packaging will tell you that and perhaps others will tell you they should be available to them all the time. But pellets are the junk food of the piggy world. They’re like you eating chocolate or Burger King all the time.

They constitute the smallest part of their diet (5%) and you’ll usually find they contain lots of fillers and calcium that’s more than in calcium rich veg. They can also stop them eating hay, which forms the biggest part of their diet (80-85%). In any case you can leave them on what pellets they’ve been used to.

As an aside do you have scales you’ll be using to weigh them weekly?

No. The packaging will tell you that and perhaps others will tell you they should be available to them all the time. But pellets are the junk food of the piggy world. They’re like you eating chocolate or Burger King all the time.

They constitute the smallest part of their diet (5%) and you’ll usually find they contain lots of fillers and calcium that’s more than in calcium rich veg. They can also stop them eating hay, which forms the biggest part of their diet (80-85%). In any case you can leave them on what pellets they’ve been used to.

As an aside do you have scales you’ll be using to weigh them weekly?
yes I have scales.

Excellent! Do post photos if your boys once they’ve settled in. And have a read of the guides in the link below. There’s a lot covered that we can’t all repeat here ☺
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
If you don't mind me asking.. the guinea pigs I wanted are no longer available and there is only a male and female left. Is it okay to put both together if the male is neutered?

If you don't mind me asking.. the guinea pigs I wanted are no longer available and there is only a male and female left. Is it okay to put both together if the male is neutered?

If the male has been neutered 6 weeks or more ago then yes it is okay to out them together

Where are you adopting them from?

Where are you adopting them from?
I live in florida so I am adopting from the humane society but, people keep adopting the guinea pigs and there is almost none left. I honestly don't know where else to look for guinea pigs to adopt.

Is there a waiting list of some sort? You’ll just have to be patient I’m afraid. Better that than rush and get piggies that are ill, pregnant, mismatched etc. Suitable ones will come up eventually I’m sure.

Back