• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Veggie induced diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I gave Pluton a part of a pepper to eat. In the end, I guess I gave him a bit too much (about a quarter of a big pepper).

I just changed his bedding, and saw that he had diarrhea. And a great amount of it.

Could it be just due to the large part of a pepper he ate or is it an indicator of something else? I know I gave him too much, but I just couldn't resist the way he was happy eating it. I usually keep him on a very strict diet (a lot of hay, 2x a day a veggie, and 1x something green like lettuce, clover, grass etc.).

What should I do now?

EDIT: He also drank a LOT of water today - about 120mL.

Hello!
It is slightly possible it was too much veg, what lettuce did you give him?
Keep an eye on him, withdraw all veg for 48 hours giving only hay, pellets and water. If the diahorrea worsens, or the guinea becomes lethargic, not eating etc, a vet consult is needed straight away.

He will drink more water than usual to make up for the fluid he has lost.

Has he had pepper before? It's likely that, if it is still a new food to him, that is the cause of the diarrhea. When introducing new foods always stick with just a small amount and increase it gradually (no matter how much they enjoy it!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back