• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Veggie Troubles

Caris

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but, with just the two guinea pigs, I'm finding myself wasting a lot of vegetables. They absolutely love them, but there's just far too much for them to get through quickly enough. I only seem to be able to get spring greens, for example, in a big bag, and it goes off before I'm even half way through. I'm not a fan of veg myself, so feeding them what I also eat is not an option (they'd never see a vegetable in their life again, sadly!), so I was wondering if things like mixed salad bags would work (as they seem a better size), or are those not an option?

I've heard that if you wrap lettuce in paper towel, it'll absorb the water and help it last longer. Sorry I can't be of much more help. I'm a vegetarian myself, so I find the guinea pigs to be a positive influence on my diet. ;)

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but, with just the two guinea pigs, I'm finding myself wasting a lot of vegetables. They absolutely love them, but there's just far too much for them to get through quickly enough. I only seem to be able to get spring greens, for example, in a big bag, and it goes off before I'm even half way through. I'm not a fan of veg myself, so feeding them what I also eat is not an option (they'd never see a vegetable in their life again, sadly!), so I was wondering if things like mixed salad bags would work (as they seem a better size), or are those not an option?

Mixed salad bags are fine as long as there's no iceberg lettuce in it, and the herbs are very few or not at all. .

You can always donate the leftovers to a local rescue or farm. I volunteer at a rescue and we always have hungry piggies who would love some donated veg.

I've heard that if you wrap lettuce in paper towel, it'll absorb the water and help it last longer. Sorry I can't be of much more help. I'm a vegetarian myself, so I find the guinea pigs to be a positive influence on my diet. ;)

Haha i'm a vegetarian too and I find this very beneficial to my pigs as I eat vegatables every day and quite enjoy them. I'm obsessed with salads mmm but then I sometimes go on the unhealthy side and eat some tasty vegan chicken nuggets :))

We find if we feed them things like spring greens there will always be plenty leftover and far too many to feed them healthily. We will try and cook with spring greens that week several times and passing some on to our parents. You could always try donating extras to soup kitchens et cetera or give them to neighbours and friends.

I find a lettuce little gem of course, and coriander packs we don’t waste all. But some veggies we will.

If you get the veg that isn't pre-sliced then it will last you for absolutely ages. I get a bag of the non cut spring greens and (yes I have 9 pigs so its doesn't last ages) but it stays very fresh for over a week. I do feed it everyday as part of their staple diet.

If not is there no one you can share veg with, such as parents, friends or a neighbour.

My piggies love mixed bags of salad, they especially like the bistro salad with the grated beetroot in. Our local Asda do 2 versions of that, one with baby kale and spinach, one with a nice lettuce and chard mix. Both are popular with the piggies but we limit the spinach and kale version to once a fortnight.
Red peppers, cucumber and little gem lettuce keep better than most veg, we do our main fresh veg shop saturday morning and these things are usually still fine by the following thursday or friday...
We never have any left over veg though, having 7 piggies, 9 giant snails, and being veggie ourselves!

Mine love the any mixed salad (apart from Rocket) We hoomans always end up with the leftover kale, green beans, cucumber, carrots, etc, that they have decided is not quite fresh enough for them, that’s what we are there for .... pass the carrots dear! 🤭

I also have that problem with the spring greens and kale (and I feel guilty that my two aren't getting any at the moment) - why do they have to sell them in such big bags? No greengrocers round here unfortunately so I can't just buy the amount I need. I have grand plans for growing my own veg this year so hopefully I can cut down on my shopping bill and the food waste! My other bugbear is that 99% of the mixed salad bags have spinach in them so I'm forever fishing out the spinach... Anyway, sorry I've not been much help; just having a moan!

Helen, ditto on the growing veggies thing!

I think some parsley from time to time is a fine treat for my pigs. But I'm not a very good cook, so I'm not sure what to do with the leftover parsley. I don't want to waste it though, so I thought maybe I could grow some parsley. Also I want to grow some grass for them since I live in an apartment! I don't know how well I'll do with plants, but it'll be fun to try! :D

I'll definitely have to have a look at the mixed salads. They go absolutely crazy for spring greens, but, yes, I wish they only sold one per bag instead of two! I've just bought some sliced to see how that'll go because it was quite a bit smaller. We have a lovely veg stall in town, but unfortunately my anxiety makes getting there difficult! Shops are a bit of a struggle for me so I tend to have to pre-plan and don't get much of a chance to look while I zoom around(hence why I'm slighly clueless about what mixed salads you can get!). I don't want to give them the wrong thing. I'm currently giving them gem lettuce (which is lasting), coriander, the spring greens, and red pepper. I'm still trying with cucumber, but they're still not interested. Merlin has in fact fallen asleep on a slice and is using it as a pillow, lol! I wish I could take a picture of it without disturbing him. Must be a lovely eye mask!

I use these bags from Lakeland - they really work! They’re very effective at keeping veg fresh for much longer, even cucumber and celery. Take the veg or salad out of the bag it was sold in and put it straight in one of these and use a Klippit to seal the bag. I keep salad stuff in separate bags to veg like Spring Greens.

They can be reused loads and loads of times - I just wash them and leave them to air dry. I’ve been using the same two bags for months. I would highly recommend them.

20 Lakeland Stayfresh Longer Vegetable Storage Bags 28x46cm | Lakeland

Back