• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Veggies

Ellie-May

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both my male boars are 8-10 weeks old and I only got them yesterday. Today I introduced them to some veggies; cucumber, peppers, and Romanian lettuce and they loved it. As they are only small I tired not to overfeed them, but I was wondering how much (per piggy) should I feed? I heard its a teacup size amount, but I want to make sure. Also, should I give more leafy greens than other vegetables or keep it mixed? Also, I was just wondering what is your piggies favorite fruit/veg? Also, what fruit is best to give?

The link below should help you

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Fruit needs to be limited, it is only to be used as an occasional treat. It is too sugary to be fed regularly. If I
Give my boys a small piece of fruit something like a thin slice of apple of a blueberry or two perhaps once a month.

Hay needs to make up the largest part of their diet (80/85%). My boys daily veg amount is based on the sample diet plate you will find in the link above.

I also mix in other veggies and herbs but they don’t get them as often and certainly not a lot of it - things such as a baby corn, a thin slice of tomato (to be limited due to the acidity), a piece of celery, a small piece of kale (limited due to high calcium content), dill, basil and parsley (limited) spinach (limited due to high calcium), rocket (limited)

You need to introduce veggies a little at a time, perhaps one at a time as well. If they do have any issues with one veg, if you’ve given several different types then you won’t know which one upset them.

Mine always like a bit of cucumber, and parsley or coriander is a big hit too. They don't get fruit much because of the sugar, but when I have given them fruit, they've enjoyed apple (not too acidic, that's not good for them), a little bit of watermelon in the summer, and once in a blue moon I'll give them half a grape (again, as long as they're not very acidic).

Back