• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very poorly Piggy

Iggle_Piggle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I took my 6 year old guinea pig to the vets yesterday as she had stopped eating and drinking as much as normal and was very quiet- not like herself at all. The vet examined her and said she could feel lumps on her ovaries that she believes are tumors. She has given her antibiotics and pain relief to see if this helps her to improve at all but she didn't seem very hopeful and said the only solution is surgery but due to her age she wouldn't recommend it. She told me that if her condition does not improve it would be kinder to let her slip away. I am devastated! We only lost her cage mate during the sunmer and have been keeping such a close eye on her since to ensure she isn't lonely and she has been fine up until Wednesday and thats when she started to eat less.

Today she hasn't eaten anything at all and only had a tiny drink. I held a piece of cucumber out for her (her favourite) and she took it from me and then put it down and turned away. She seems to be lying comfortably in her hay box but isn't eating any of it (which is not like her at all). I don't want her to suffer if she is not going to get better but I also don't want to end her life if it's too soon. How will I know if putting her to sleep is the right option?

Iggle_Piggle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I forgot to add that a vet has mentioned masses in her abdomen when she was younger, but when it was mentioned to another vet they couldn't feel anything. She has always been a larger piggy but has never shown any signs of discomfort and has always had a really healthy appitite.

The vet yesterday said that because of where the lumps are it could be painful for her to eat/digest food so she just won't eat. She has stopped pooing and weeing today too 😓

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that a vet has mentioned masses in her abdomen when she was younger, but when it was mentioned to another vet they couldn't feel anything. She has always been a larger piggy but has never shown any signs of discomfort and has always had a really healthy appitite.

The vet yesterday said that because of where the lumps are it could be painful for her to eat/digest food so she just won't eat. She has stopped pooing and weeing today too 😓
Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry; have they checked whether the ovarian cysts are soft and fluid filled or hard and potentially cancerous? The first variety is by far more common and grow massively, causing gut adhesion in some cases. Large fluid filled ovarian cysts are common and can also cause gassing; but the onset is usually not as sudden.

No pooing and weeing is the result of not eating and drinking yesterday. Keep in mind that 80% of the food intake should be hay, which you cannot measure by eye. Unless you step in asap, I am afraid that your piggy's body will close down and she will die. She sound rather close to the line so you really make an effort with syringe feeding fibre (mushes up pellets in a pinch as long as cut off the syringe tip just below where it widens to allow the rougher pellet fibre to pass through) and water NOW in an effort to see whether you can pull her through with your support care.

Please take the time to read our guide links. They contain all the practical information and details that we cannot pack into every thread.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (includes a list of possible treatments for non-cancerous cysts that are less invasive than a spaying op)
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs (in case you are faced with the decision to pts if your efforts are not effective; the first chapter deals with things you CAN do to save a life if it is saveable)

Could you please tell us which country you are in? We have members and enquiries from quite lterally all over the world and very different vet access, climate and backgrounds. How piggy savvy is yor vet?

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My heart goes out to you, sincerely. I guess you feel helpless right now and all I can say is follow what Weibke suggests. Having been in a similar situation during the summer I feel for you. I am sending love and healing vibes to you both. Be strong little piggie xx

Iggle_Piggle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your supportive messages and for all of the advice you gave me yesterday.

We stepped in with syringe feeding, but sadly she was just too poorly and died yesterday night in my husband's arms 😭 we are both devastated but also glad that she didn't have to suffer for too long.

We don't think that we will have any more piggies in the forseeable future as it is just too painful when they leave, but I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for being so supportive. Every time I have posted with a query I have always had quick and helpful responses. If anyone I know ever has piggies in the future I will point them in the direction of this forum.

Sleep tight little Hermione. You will forever be in our hearts ❤ xx

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry you have lost your special girl, take time to grieve and treasure your memories x
Sleep tight Hermione 🌈