• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very Small, Poorly Baby Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

faeriemagick

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
As the title suggests, we have a very small baby Guinea pig at the moment. The mother gave birth 3 days ago to 5 babies. 1 was stillborn, two were a decent weight (85g), one was quite small (56g) but seems to be thriving, but this little one is 45g and looks very poorly. The mother from what I can tell from watching seems to be rejecting the baby. I've tried putting her and the baby separate to give this little one a chance to feed incase the others are pushing it out, but the mother isn't interested. In fact at one point earlier she started rolling it around the cage with her nose (almost as if to check it were still alive)
I've done a bit of research into handrearing and managed to get it to take some milk from a spoon earlier but it seems even weaker this afternoon and won't take any milk when I try. Also worth mentioning, this is a skinny pig, so hairless, and no matter how much warmth I try to give it, it's body feels very cold. I was even carrying it around wrapped in my top for a while earlier and it made no difference. It isn't really walking around much either. Back legs are very wobbly and when it sits/lays down, it lies completely stretched out if that makes sense?
I'm thinking it's probably just a matter of time before it passes away, but is there any way that I can make it more comfortable at the moment? It's so sad to see it so helpless.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thankyou

Please do NOT feed cows milk to guinea pigs; it is far too rich. It would be better if you fed a fibre rich food like Critical Care which you can mix with full fat goats milk, but to be honest, it doesn't look good. There is a good chance that something serious is wrong with your little pup.

Keep the little pup comfy and warm with warm, but not hot snugglesafe and fleece.

How did you come by the pregnancy? Please be aware that we do not support intentional breeding on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back