• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very tiny small white bump on right eye

Prasiddha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My darling fluffy has a very tiny small white bump on her right eye. She is bothered about it but I am really worried now. She is 3 years old. Photos for your reference. I took the best of photos I could since she is super active she never stays in one place.IMG_20200806_122441.jpgIMG_20200806_122313.jpgIMG_20200806_122206.jpgIMG_20200806_122031.jpg

What do you all think it is.? She is least bothered by it and eats and runs around. Not a tiny bit change in her personality. I can see the vet only on Saturday. My vet is old so he seeing emergency in patients only on Saturdays due to covid 19 lockdown. I have sent pictures to him. He is not yet seen the pictures. I just administered artificial tear drops to make her feel better.

The white spot in images look flat. But in real it look like there is a small tiny mustard is stuck under her pupil. I could even discribe like a tiny bit white colour dirt stuck. But this white spot doesn't move elsewhere. It just moves with the pupil movement .

Hello Prasiddha do you think it’s an ulcer - just as Brownie had ? As wiebke said about Brownie it could be a hay poke injury for Fluffy . Hopefully your a Vet will look at the pictures ASAP and prescribe antibiotics - if your Vet can’t see Fluffy til sat maybe he could diagnose with the photos and with speaking to you ? I think getting the right medication/ eye drops is important ASAP - good luck and let us know 🥰

Thank you @Roselina. My hopes are it is a hay poke/ ulceration like brownie since he got completely fine after the antibiotics. My only doubt is for brownie it was not in the center of the pupil but it was between the center and the deep end of the pupil. Ofcourse his spot was bigger than what fluffy has now. But in fluffy's case it almost on her circumference of her right eye pupil. To my memory brownies spot wasn't like a bump. It was more like a spot.

It’s best to get her to a vet when you can. It doesn’t have to be your usual one, general vets can also check the eyes. Good luck and let us know how it goes

@Wiebke It is on the circumference of her pupil. It on the black part not the white part.

@Siikibam I am in tamilnadu a state in India. Getting a vet who knows what a guinea pig is itself is a big task here. My first guinea pig had ear infection when I adopted him. Inexperienced vet spoke to me like he knows everything about guinea pigs and gave him medicines that killed my baby. I was a new mom who trusted the vet blindly. From then on I trust you all more than these vets. This vet of mine is the only one who really has some knowledge on guinea pigs. I can't trust anyone else. Even the medicines this vet of mine prescribes I usually cross check with the experts here in this forum if it is really safe for piggies.

@Wiebke It is on the circumference of her pupil. It on the black part not the white part.

I think wiebke means does the white patch stand proud of the eyeball itself, it is raised. or is it within the eye and the eyeball is smooth like normal

@Siikibam I am in tamilnadu a state in India. Getting a vet who knows what a guinea pig is itself is a big task here. My first guinea pig had ear infection when I adopted him. Inexperienced vet spoke to me like he knows everything about guinea pigs and gave him medicines that killed my baby. I was a new mom who trusted the vet blindly. From then on I trust you all more than these vets. This vet of mine is the only one who really has some knowledge on guinea pigs. I can't trust anyone else. Even the medicines this vet of mine prescribes I usually cross check with the experts here in this forum if it is really safe for piggies.
That’s fine. Eyes can be seen by a vet who’s not experienced with guinea pigs as treatment is almost the same across all animals. Hope you can get your piggy seen soon.

@Siikibam sure try to check if any other vet is available for immediate visit

If it is on top, then it is either the start of a ulceration (infection resulting from an injury/perforation of the cornea, which will require antibiotic eye drops) or something else like a fatty or calcium deposit on to of the eye, in which case nothing can be done about it. But it takes a hands-on examination to decide that, which is exactly what we cannot do for you, unfortunately.

@Wiebke thank you so much. If it is a calcium or fatty deposit on her eye will see loss her vision. Will she need a surgery? My vet is yet to reply 😔

@Wiebke thank you so much. If it is a calcium or fatty deposit on her eye will see loss her vision. Will she need a surgery? My vet is yet to reply 😔

Surgery is not an option in guinea pigs. She will lose a small degree of sight but not devastatingly so. Keep in mind that unlike in humans where sight is the strongest sense, it is actually the weakest in guinea pigs. I have had a number of piggies losing sight from cataracts but they have still been able to live a perfectly normal, enriched life.

Is there any medication or drops for calcium / fatty deposit in eyes. Will calcium / fatty deposits show up over a night. Last night I am pretty sure her eye was perfectly normal. Today morning she had this. My vet by talking to me on phone and seeing the images has adviced me to use chloramphenicol eye drops and artificial tear drops same as what he prescribed for brownie when had his hay poke. Now it is Thursday night here. He is asked me to come for a visit first thing on Saturday morning. I was thinking of administering this medicine for time being. Tomo morning her eye deteriates for sure I will take her to a different vet but if she is normal like today I am planning on continuing the medication and visit my vet on Saturday morning.

@Wiebke is there any dietary restrictions I need to follow with her if it is calcium / fatty deposit

Back