• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vet Bed, Felt Or Rubber Backed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi folks, just testing out some felt backed vet bed, and wondering if there are any advantages /disadvantages between felt backed or rubber backed please?

Attachments

• 20150529_112501.jpg
    20150529_112501.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2
I knew someone who always used the rubber backed. Sorry! I can't give any more advice. Someone else can shed some light I'm sure!

I always use the rubber-backed vetbed.
My reasons are thus: for my ramps it stays in place better.
I like the fact that it's more or less waterproof, and that pee does not seep onto the metal grids of my ramps, thus messing up the metal AND I have found that guinea pee stains the correx, so I do prefer a washable waterproof layer between the fluffy bits and the correx :) I have a five level cage (used to be four) and one level has vetbed as the liner. They've pee'd on it a few times but the correx beneath is pristine.

However according to the sites selling the felt-back it states that any wetness seeps right through into anything you put beneath, so are designed to wick moisture completely away. I have not used this sort but perhaps it is designed to have a towel underneath to keep the vetbed itself dry. In which case it has an advantage right there :)

In my case most of the piggy-wee's are done in their messy-trays with Fitch and hay, both of which are spot-cleaned daily and sometimes twice a day. There isn't a great amount of wee going on the vetbed or the fleece-quilts so the fact that it's not completely wicked away isn't an issue for my particular set-up.

I always use the rubber-backed vetbed.
My reasons are thus: for my ramps it stays in place better.
I like the fact that it's more or less waterproof, and that pee does not seep onto the metal grids of my ramps, thus messing up the metal AND I have found that guinea pee stains the correx, so I do prefer a washable waterproof layer between the fluffy bits and the correx :) I have a five level cage (used to be four) and one level has vetbed as the liner. They've pee'd on it a few times but the correx beneath is pristine.

However according to the sites selling the felt-back it states that any wetness seeps right through into anything you put beneath, so are designed to wick moisture completely away. I have not used this sort but perhaps it is designed to have a towel underneath to keep the vetbed itself dry. In which case it has an advantage right there :)

In my case most of the piggy-wee's are done in their messy-trays with Fitch and hay, both of which are spot-cleaned daily and sometimes twice a day. There isn't a great amount of wee going on the vetbed or the fleece-quilts so the fact that it's not completely wicked away isn't an issue for my particular set-up.
So don't you use an underlay with the rubber backed? Do you fix it to your ramps? My ramps are gutters with carpet fixed to them but that is going to be a pain replacing it. Washable would be better, but now I've extended the cage to 3 levels not sure how I'm going to get to the ramps to replace it.. Lol!

So don't you use an underlay with the rubber backed? Do you fix it to your ramps? My ramps are gutters with carpet fixed to them but that is going to be a pain replacing it. Washable would be better, but now I've extended the cage to 3 levels not sure how I'm going to get to the ramps to replace it.. Lol!
With some ramps it just sticks nicely all by itself. It helps to have the vetbed going part way up the sides too. With the shorter ramps I have sewn the fluffy side of Velcro onto the vetbed and the ramp has the 'sharp' side woven in and out of the grid.

No I don't use anything under the rubber-backed vetbed as it's almost waterproof :)

where do you buy Vet bad from please ?

I got my vet bed on ebay. I have rubber backed and use news paper and puppy pads underneath. I change the corner newspapers daily as they get very wet, the vet bed wicks the wet away and doesn't let it back through. Puppy pads only get changed weekly although I do turn the corners round once or twice a week to use up the whole pad, can never tell how much wet if any has gone into them. 5 years ago I had pigs on the green back version and the rubber, this old type was much thinner and easier to get in the washing machine but I didn't notice any difference in performance between the two. I have noticed since I bought mine that some sellers say what they are selling is the extra thick type so maybe that's what I got and you can actually get different thicknesses. I think thinner would be just as good for piggies. My cage is now a 160 so it's a big piece of vet bed to cram in the washing machine. Wish my boars would use a litter tray so they didn't make paper so wet, the one time I tried it one of them used it then went to sleep in the wet bit and needed a bath as he was rather smelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back