• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vet Health Check, Now I Feel Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roclibrarian

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just taken my 2 girls for a health check at the vets since they have just turned one. They are both fine overall, but she spotted things I hadn't and now I feel like a bad mum.
They both have mites, which I thought had cleared up as they aren't itchy.
Luna has some dry skin on one ear which I hadn't noticed. Going to try coconut oil and see if that helps. Fingers crossed it's not fungal.
Ginny has been rumble strutting for 3 weeks, so I knew something was going on, but never noticed her nipples are enlarged. Vet couldn't feel any ovarian cysts, so hopefully it's just her age (teenage hormones?) and will calm down.
I pride myself on knowing my pigs and spotting problems early. Now I feel like I am doing a rubbish job and am worried about missing future problems :no:

Don';t feel bad, mites can come up very quickly. Vimto had no mites one morning then 3 hours later had a bleeding back. I take it the vet is treating it with Xeno 450?

Enlarged nipples can happen during season times so try not to worry too much, sometimes dominance behavior can last for several weeks when hormones are raging espically in their teenage years so just keep an eye on things

Is the dry skin on the ear outside?

Don't feel bad, I used to help at a monthly piggy clinic and while there my own pigs would be checked and the lady that ran it always pointed stuff out that we hadn't spotted.

Like Lee says I would monitor Ginny for now, I am doing the same with my Emma at the moment as she is having a longer than normal season.

Don';t feel bad, mites can come up very quickly. Vimto had no mites one morning then 3 hours later had a bleeding back. I take it the vet is treating it with Xeno 450?

Enlarged nipples can happen during season times so try not to worry too much, sometimes dominance behavior can last for several weeks when hormones are raging espically in their teenage years so just keep an eye on things

The dry skin is on the outside of the eart, around the Base of the ear. It's just a bit flakey, like dandruff.

Oh and yes getting some xeno, they had none is stock so picking it up next week

Oh and yes getting some xeno, they had none is stock so picking it up next week

You can order xeno online cheaper with your vet's consent. it's prescription-free.

A good vet check always finds something that you haven't noticed before. Skin parasites, grease glands, cysts or lumps in places that are not quite obvious, dry or gunky ears, nipples etc...
Don't feel guilty; you are a good mommy. A vet is trained to look for all the little tell tale signs, after all, and that is what you pay them for.

There would be no point taking them if you didn't think the vet could add value! Thats why you did it? Its easy when you see them everyday to just assume they are Ok and not notice so good for you for taking them....sneakily off to book similar now, you just reminded me! :whistle:

I agree with the others - don't feel bad. Feel good that you did the right thing and took them to the vets. I'm planning on taking my two when they are a year old, and I imagine they'll spot something I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back